Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Silverado ABS activates when it shouldn't

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2009, 4:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Silverado ABS activates when it shouldn't

Hello fellow trucksters,
I have an 05 Silverado, extended cab, 4 X 4 work truck. This is the first vehicle I bought new. Sometimes, when coming to a stop the truck will "chatter" and the brake pedal will depress almost to the floor. The first couple of times this happened the road surface was wet, and I thought it was the ABS working as designed. But in the past month it has happened more often, and the road surface is dry. It usually happens when I am almost to a stop, and I have to stand on the pedal to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of me.
I also notice that if I pop the tranny into neutral, I don't have this problem.
Is this an ABS sensor problem?
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Is there a re-call, or a service bulletin from Chevy on this?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old June 24th, 2009, 5:06 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Arent you able to shut the ABS off in those 2005 models? There should be an ABS button.
Old June 24th, 2009, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Koffietje
Arent you able to shut the ABS off in those 2005 models? There should be an ABS button.
There is no button on the dash.
I will check the owners manual again. Thanks.
Old June 25th, 2009, 3:42 AM
CF Active Member

my 05 does not have a button to turn off ABS (as much as i wish it did)
check to make sure your front wheel bearings arent loose, a bad bearing throws the pickup out of alignmentand can cause that sometimes, even with only slight movement it only activates sometimes, but not enough to throw a code and disable itself. if thats not the case i would suspect one of the wheel speed sensors is on its way out.
Old June 25th, 2009, 4:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by racerx55
my 05 does not have a button to turn off ABS (as much as i wish it did)
check to make sure your front wheel bearings arent loose, a bad bearing throws the pickup out of alignmentand can cause that sometimes, even with only slight movement it only activates sometimes, but not enough to throw a code and disable itself. if thats not the case i would suspect one of the wheel speed sensors is on its way out.
Thank you for that.
A friend told me yesterday that what it could be also is that the tranny isn't coming out of "lock-up", and the "vibration" that I think is the ABS, might actually be the rear wheels trying to drive through the brakes.
It only happens as I am coming to (or attempting to come to) a complete stop, say under 5 MPH, and again, if I pop the truck into neutral, it doesn't happen.

The wheel bearling thing just btought back a memory. I did hit a few 4 X 4 pieces of lumber one dark morning on the way to work late last year, and the truck has a slight shimmy every so often.

Thanks again racerx55, I'll check into that.
Old August 19th, 2009, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default abs

usually the sensor in the wheel bearing for the abs, you can usually clean it to stop the abs from kickin on when its not suppose to, wheel bearing can also be bad. You can pull the fuse under the hood and it will eliminate the abs, you will get a couple dash lights but electrical tape can cover.
Old August 19th, 2009, 5:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like you need a good system bleed, or possibly new brakes? It has been 4 years...
Old August 19th, 2009, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum. My father in law is having a similar problem and was interested in a testing procedure for the wheel speed sensor? I told him about pulling the fuse for the ABS and will ask him to try putting the trany in neutral to see if the problem goes away.

Thanks, Seige
Old August 20th, 2009, 4:58 AM
CF Beginner

Welcome Seige,
Putting my truck in neutral no longer stops the truck from braking with the anti-lock. The truck now does this 4 or 5 timas a day. Always when I am just about to a complete stop, about a half a truck length from where I want to stop. I will make an appointment with the local Chevy dealer and I will report back here.

Thank you tecate1987 for the advice,
I looked under there and gently tugged on the sensor harness but haven't pulled anything apart yet. I will though.

Thanks rivereye,
Never a bad idea to bleed the brakes. I lost a bunch of brake lines on my Caddy because I didn't bleed them every 4 years like the shop manual advised. I'll get on that and maybe I won't have to make that dealer appointment after all.

Thanks to all who have offered advice.
Old August 20th, 2009, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Recall

Yes, there was a recall on several model years for that problem. It goes back as far as 1999. Mine of course is a 1998, and missed the mark. But I'm guessing that the same part lot that went onto my truck also was used on 1999 and newer. And, the article states that the recalled vehicles at that time were from 1999-2002

It was causing me so much concern that I almost went for the cash for clunkers deal.

Happened upon this forum on a Google search and pulled the ABS fuse this morning. It's a 60 amp fuse in the fuse block that is located near the ABS module. The diagram for fuse locations is on a sticker on the inside of the fuse block cover.

Been driving it all morning without that frozen pedal scaring me. Wished I would have read about it a few years earlier. Been too frugal to get the repair done.

Here's the webpage, www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2005/gm_abs.html

Cheers !!!

Last edited by Apollo_18; August 20th, 2009 at 3:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Silverado ABS activates when it shouldn't