Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Silverado shakes when breaking

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2012, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Silverado shakes when breaking

Hi new here so go easy on me, i have a 2005 silverado that shakes when braking at speeds 45-65. This started when i put Aftermarket 20s and i thought it was the tires so i took them off and put the stock 17s back on rode real nice! No shakes no nothing! Then decided to put 24s on and it started to shake real bad! Was told it was my shocks ( were replaced) still did it.... Then that it was my rotors (brand new ones installed) and still shook. Ok so i have had them re balanced like twice and still does it!
Any help guys?
Old August 21st, 2012, 7:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

where do you feel the shake; steering wheel, brake pedal or seat/body of truck?
Old August 21st, 2012, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Its all in the cab. Lightly in the steering wheel
Old August 21st, 2012, 8:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2wd or 4wd?
Old August 21st, 2012, 8:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it back and get them road forced balanced
Old August 21st, 2012, 9:02 PM
CF Veteran

gm trucks have always been prone to the "death wobble" after bigger tires are put on. new, heavy duty pitman and idler arms will help, as well as a good steering stabilizer. i would start with both pitman and idler. buy quality pieces as i have yet to see the cheaper versions actually hold up.
Old August 21st, 2012, 9:39 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything that happens when braking generally is in the brakes I don not care what anyone tries to tell you. If you put the old wheels back on does it still shake WHEN BRAKING? Which rotors were replaced front or rear? When the lug nuts torqued equally?
Old August 21st, 2012, 9:46 PM
CF Veteran

and as you say MDTAHOE, GENERALLY. the GM "death wobble" as it is WIDELY known as, has nothing to do with the brakes. it is well known that GM's independent suspension on the 4wd trucks is sub par when you add bigger wheels/tires. i personally have experienced this on three GM trucks that i've owned. i do agree that alot of shake can be rotors, even new ones. but warped rotors are not the only answer in this case.
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Its a 2wd.. And its perfectly fine with stock 17s and front rotors are new while drums were turned. The tire shop tightens the lugs with a air gun. Ive tried to get hub rings but they dont make them in a big enough for the rims
Old August 22nd, 2012, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

I would say your problem is the weak and poorly designed front end of the chevy, expecially when you add larger wheels or tires. Start with a kit from Cognito Motorsports for the Idler arm and Pitman arm. Then check your ball joints ! By lifting the vehicle in the front from the suspension ( not the frame ) just a bit off the ground , then take a long pry bar or something simalar and put it under the tire and lift. If the ball joint moves, it's bad! ( you may need someone to look while you pry ) replace them with another part from cognito, the upper control arms that have bolt in ball joints. I wouldn't trust the press in ones with larger wheels and tires.
CognitoMotorsports.com

Quick Reply: 2005 Silverado shakes when breaking