Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 silverado wont start 1 click at starter

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 silverado wont start 1 click at starter

Today I was driving my 05 silverado, no problems, 2 hours later I got in to go somewhere and it would not start. ONly 1 click at the starter, will not turn over at all, I dull metallic sound at starter. Battery is fairly new , charged battery just to make sure it was not battery, 2 hours later, tried to start and the same thing. I have about 100 k on the truck, has been perfect till now. How do I troubleshoot this or is it time to have it haulded in to the dealer?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 1:11 AM
CF Junior Member

I had the same problem and it was the starter. I have the 6.0 and the starter solenoid has a little metal shield to reflect the heat away from the exhaust. Well that had fallen off and heat soaked my started and it crapped out on me. If I had to guess thats what it is. Or jiggle your shifter a little and see if its the neutral safety switch if it happens again. Hope this helps
Old January 7th, 2011, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same issue. One click drove fine the whole works. I tested battery turned out fine charged it anyway took it to get load tested turned out good. So itook starter out cleaned all the connections with electrical cleaner. Took it to get tested ran test 3 times all came out good brought it back home made sure I was getting voltage from battery down to starter wire then hooked it all back up and it started. Mine was just a dirty connection.