Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   2007 NBS Silverado Battery Rundown! (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/2007-nbs-silverado-battery-rundown-16122/)

biglg May 22nd, 2008 9:30 AM

2007 NBS Silverado Battery Rundown!

Anyone have a NBS silverado and has the battery run down issue? I know my 2007 tahoe had this problem however I havent ready anything about this on my Silverado.About2 weeks ago Ihad the radio on for about 15 minutes one night while drying it off after a bath. It was dead at that time too. Almost identical issues to the Tahoe but I have read of a fix, TSB, or recall for the silverado's.

I hadnt driven the truck for about a week and went out to drive it yesterday. It was 100% dead. It was so dead that the codes for the garage door opener were messed up. I jumped it and itstarted just fine. However, this is a pain and I am not going to be driving it very often. Will i need to jump it every time I drive it?

speedy58 May 22nd, 2008 10:47 AM

RE: 2007 NBS Silverado Battery Rundown!

sounds like an issue wiht your bat. its self or your alt. not charging as much as its spose to be

iv left lights int. lights on raido on for all kinda hours talgate partys even running a power inverter off of cig. lighter
to run a tv or my 10 gal. 5 hp shop vac.
and never had a prob.

had one prob. once but i was runing 13 strands of christmas lights on truck under frame in bed all over off the power inverter
and left them on christmas eve. had left on all night before so wasnt worred about it
but when woke up for got to turn them off the wife got me up and we was spose to go to her moms so got up and left
forgot all about truning them off and came back it was dark and lights were still on so i left them on and in the am next day
the battery was dead but it STILL HAD A LIL LEFT IN IT just turned lights off and waited about an hour and went back out and
started right back up and never had one issue since.

fireman526 May 22nd, 2008 11:57 AM

Yeah, I work 24 hr shifts and left my dome lights on and they drained my battery dead, called onstar and they had somebody out in 20 minutes to get me going again, but it is an annoying problem. I thought there was battery rundown protection on the chevys, my 2004 Ford had it on it.

Old Coot May 22nd, 2008 12:42 PM

I had that with my 2003. They had a recall on it and reprogramed the computer to fix it.That was the only time it was ever back to the dealer. Never had another problem. No problem with the 07.

shawnvw May 22nd, 2008 2:54 PM

BigLG...don't you have a bunch of aftermarket stuff in your truck also? Make sure that stuff is not casing your drain before you condem anything else

biglg May 22nd, 2008 3:00 PM

shawnvw,
Not sure what aftermarket stuff you are talking about. The only aftermarket electronic item in the vehicle is a kenwood rear view camera. However, the way it is wired it is on switched power so that isnt the problem.

I will be taking it to the dealer as this was a mass issue with the new Tahoes and this problem is almost identical to my 2007 Tahoe issue when they made an update for the computer.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was having the same issues.

vette84jr May 23rd, 2008 1:29 PM

Have you had the BCM reprogrammed? Just a thought, as that was the problem with my 2007 Tahoe and this corrected the problem. It would run down when sitting, and I have not had an issue since. There is a TSB on it, and mine was done in 11/07. There is so much tied into the systems anymore that run more then we do not expect it that it sure doesn't take long to discharge them. Hope this helps!

CEKR3 May 29th, 2008 6:28 PM

I have the same problem with my battery. I have gone to the dealer 3 times they cant find anything. I have notice if I start thetruckaround 6 am and let it run for about 10 min. it is fine thewhole day. IfI start thetruck after8am I have to jump start it.

ctahoe January 3rd, 2009 7:42 PM

Me too on this one. Did you guys ever solve the problems? Find out what the issue was?

Chas1955 January 4th, 2009 3:17 PM

I have had the same problem twice! One time I had the radio on for 20-30 Min's & it was DEAD! Jumped it & no problem for 2-3 Mo's Then I was helping clean up a race track after a motorcycle race & left my flashers on for 1/2 hr & it was dead again. This was 2 months ago, so now I make sure everything is off when I shut the truck off! Hot (108) or cold (19) don't seem to bother it???

Charlie

mike_3720 January 8th, 2009 2:09 AM

This morning my battery was dead. I have a 2007 Silverado Z-71 with 18,000 mile. I charged the battery and then took it to my Chevrolet dealer. They ran a computer scan and did not find a problem, then they informed me that Chevy had put out a bullentin out about this same problem. Chevy says the problem is caused by the security alarm on the stereo, the alarm draws down the battery while sitting over night. Now the kicker, I was told that G.M. has NO FIX for this problem!!!! I filed a complaint with Chevrolet this afternoon, they can find a fix or come and get the truck. I'm pissed!

zkgraves January 8th, 2009 5:55 PM

i have that problem with my 06.. i bought a new battery and if i play the radio for more than about 15 minutes my truck dies. ive had the alternator checked and they said its fine.. i dunno what else to do

mike_3720 January 8th, 2009 10:34 PM

Update, after talking to G.M.and after G.M. talked to the dealer, I'm taking my truck back in the morning to the dealer. GM suggested 5 new possible fixes for the problem, I'll know more tomorrow and I'll pass on what I find out...

jlm6740 January 10th, 2009 11:30 PM

I'm curious about this too. I'm on my second battery at 14K. It sat in my garage for over a week while I was out of town and then started fine. But drive it daily and it may or may not start in the morning! Happens every couple of months.

One time it was totally dead and woudn't even jump by either me or the dealer.

It's never thrown any codes either. I look forward to hearing what you find out. My dealer hasn't had any suggestions other than to try another battery.

mike_3720 January 11th, 2009 1:32 AM

On Friday the service dept. checked the battery again and found that the battery had a bad cell, but on Thursday the same test showed no problem with the battery. The service manager also said they did a few things that G.M. had suggested they try. I worry that I'm getting the run around. A Chevrolet rep. is suppose to call me back Monday morning, the rep. has alsobeen in contact withthe service dept. also, I will express my concerns to them on Monday...Jim, I was wondering if you had anything plugged into your power outlets, something like a GPS or a cell phone charger? Just wondering....Before my battery finally died, it started acting up a couple of weeks before then. When cranking the truck it seemed like the starter was dragging, turning over very slowly. This only happened in the morning, but it was every morning for a couple of weeks...I'll keep posting until I feel the problem has been fixed, I'll also let you know what Chevrolet says on Monday...

Chas1955 January 11th, 2009 11:15 AM

Man I never had this problem with my 05, but something is wrong here!

mike_3720 January 11th, 2009 1:10 PM

My 05 never gave me a minutes worth of trouble either. My salesman told me GM changed the radios with the security protection in 06 and the guy in the service dept. told me I wasn't the only one having this same problem. I was told that on my first trip to the service dept. I asked the Chevy rep. what would happen if GM couldn't fix the problem, I never got a straight answer :) I told them I would be a thorn in soneones butt if I don't find satisfaction...

jlm6740 January 11th, 2009 8:17 PM

This last time I had a cell phone charger plugged in. Interior lights and dash worked but not enough juice to start. Time before that though, nothing was plugged in at all and as soon as I opened the door I new I was screwed! Totally dead. That was after driving around the entire day before.

I got the dead cell story from my dealer too. Seems fishy to me.

octane200 January 12th, 2009 4:20 PM

my truck is at the dealer right now for the third time for this same problem (and it has happened two times before that and I just jumped it thinking it was just some freak thing) the first time they couldn't find anything and the said they cleaned the battery cables and checked conections, the second time they couldn't find anything but they said their was a service bullitin to reprogram the computer, now for the third time its in the shop right now and they just called and said they can't find anything wrong with it again but they are going to put in a new battery anyway. They don't have a freaking clue. The truck only has 17000 miles and it seems to do it about every 2 months [:@]

mike_3720 January 12th, 2009 4:43 PM

Everyone with this problem needs to call Chevrolet Customer Service and file a complaint. The more complaints filed the sooner they'll find a fix...

mike_3720 January 12th, 2009 4:47 PM

Phone number: 1-800-222-1020

Flipr6 January 12th, 2009 10:30 PM

common problem is the reflash or a bad BCM (body control module) sometimes they go bad and don't throw a mil code and kill the battery fast

mike_3720 January 12th, 2009 10:52 PM

Flipr6, can you shed more light on this problem? I did a search on BCM and I didn't learn much :) I did read something about tire pressure warnings, my truck is always telling me I have low air, but when I check them I have 35 psi. Is thisa side effect of a bad BCM??? Any and all help you can offer, please!!!

octane200 January 13th, 2009 11:29 AM

I rotated my tires last week and my tires would not recalibrate so I took it back to the dealer and they said that it had lost its program, but my pressure always seemed to be right, and then 2 days later thats when thebattery went dead again

rawdil49 January 28th, 2009 8:24 PM

any update on this battery rundown problem?

i think my 2005 silverado might have the same issue. the problem first started a couple months ago. sometimes after sitting for a couple days it will start right up. other times it needs to be jumped after only sitting for a short period of time. i have replaced the battery. i have taken my truck to interstate and my chevy dealer multiple times and they can never find anything wrong with it.

natekok11 January 29th, 2009 6:42 PM

I took my truck in today for the same battery issue, and also my a/c compressor was always running causing my truck to show it was overheating, some weird stuff. It was the BCM and all they did was reset it or update it something like that.

jlm6740 February 2nd, 2009 10:30 PM

I had my truck in today for routine service and had them check into my rundown issue. They could find no problems, but have had others in with the same issue. My dealer and GM are aware of the problem, but don't have a solution yet. I'm suppose to "keep checking" with them.

They did tell me that in the Detroit area, they have a number to call so that someone from GM can go in to check the vehicle.

Meanwhile, I keep my fingers crossed every time I hit the key!

Rastis March 5th, 2009 8:06 PM

Dead Battery DEAD SILVERADO

Along with many other problems my 07 nbs at 9500, 16500, and 17000 miles the battery was dead and replaced by dealer. This has totally confused them as they cannot find any draws on the electrical system. This truck is bone stock. I to am looking for a solution to this problem since GM does not seem to have a clue.

mike_3720 March 6th, 2009 11:29 AM

I have an 07 and I've had one battery replaced. I now keep a close eye on my alternator gauge, I've noticed that the needle is all over the place. I also never keep anything plugged in over night, like a cell phone charger or my GPS, before the battery was replaced I usually had something plugged in all the time. My dealer told me to use OnStar everytime I had an issue with the truck, that way there would be records kept of every event. I'm a deer hunter and I hunt way off the roads in the swamps and hollers of Alabama, OnStar said they could find me no matter where I was if I ever had another problem with my truck, I guess we'll see. I've come back to my truck after hunting till dark, not knowing if it would start. I'm tired of that sick to my stomach feeling. I shouldn't have to feel that way since I have a $35,000 truck with less than 20,000 miles on it......

mike_3720 May 7th, 2009 9:21 AM

I put my 2007 Silverado Z-71 4x4 truck back into the shop this morning, May 7, 2009. Same problem as before dead battery. OnStar ran their monthly check on the truck Saturday afternoon and the truck battery was dead on Tuesday. This is the third time my truck as been in the shop with this problem, I'm thinking about taking legal action if something doesn't change. My truck is useless to me as it is now, I don't trust it and probably never will....

mike_3720 May 11th, 2009 3:10 PM

May 11, 2009

Well, the dealership called and said my truck was ready to go. I asked what they had found wrong and they said the battery was bad, AGAIN. That makes three (3) bad batterys in less than 22,000 miles. GM has no idea what's wrong and I don't think they really care to find out what the problem is.....

ChevyZ71 May 15th, 2009 5:40 PM

Hello everyone

I'm new here and have been reading about everyones problems with dead batteries. I have an 07 Silverado completely stock that has started doing this to. I came out this morning to a totally dead battery for no reason whatsoever. Truck was locked the evening before with nothing on. I did finish listening to a sports talk show after I turned the truck off, but was short of the automatic cutoff as far as battery drain goes. I put a battery charger on it at 15amp for fifteen minutes and then put it on start. Fired right up. I watched inside the cab as the battery charger ran to see if anything came on. Nothing happened. Ran a bunch of errands crossing my fingers and it started everytime. It was so dead this morning the clock reset to 12:00! This is my second go around with this. The first time my kids had been in the truck getting some things out and I blamed it on that since I wasn't aware of the issue.

The truck is just a few days shy of 2 yrs. old w'ith 30,000 miles. I'll have to admit I'm a little scared of what I've got now. I put 20k down on this thing and nearly have it payed off-just to start wondering if it's gonna start with me and my family in it off somewhere. I think I will look into filing a complaint with Chevy to. If I find any answers I will be sure to post them. Chevy has to fix this. I know if they don't they will lose a customer who has bought only Chevy for 29 yrs. About 10 different vehicles in that time. I saw someone was posting from Alabama. Me to-Huntsvlle to be specific. War Eagle and Roll Tide to you!

ChevyZ71 May 15th, 2009 7:15 PM

OK I've started the process

I've registered the complaint with Chevrolet via email and telephone and will be rolling into the dealership as they open in the morning. I urge anyone who has experienced this problem to do the same. Don't go to the Chevrolet website-go to the Silverado website and hit contact us. A screen will appear where you can report the problem via email and you can find the phone number where you are provided a case manager who will work with you. That's all I know to do. Document it everytime it happens until they take the time to figure out the problem.

Eventually we may all have to get together and do it the hard way. I'm willing to listen to rattles, a little wind noise and all that kind of stuff that every vehicle seems to have, but I am not willing to live with wether it will start or not. No way no how. Good luck!

BeaverFood September 30th, 2009 10:02 AM

I have a 2007 LTZ 5.3L. I'm about to go turn in my rental car and get my truck from the dealer after its 5th battery run down event. One time I had to have a wrecker haul it in. I'll be looking for another vehicle this afternoon as I don't trust this piece of ****. It will not be from ObamaMotors.

As of 9/29/2011.......I'm happy to report that the 2010 Toyota Tundra that replaced my unreliable Silverado has been running just fine with no problems whatsoever - ever since I made the earlier post. I will never again own anything from GM, even though I was forced to own a piece of this screwed up company.

TannerDMC October 5th, 2009 3:37 PM

2002 Avalanche Battery Drain

New here today...

I've been dealing with a drained (dead Battery for about 3 weeks now.

I've been going in circles with a dead battery.

Out of the Blue one day I get into my 2002 Avalanche, turn the key, absolutely nothing happens. So I put the charger on it and about 20 minutes later I get it started. I drove it to the nearest Tires Plus knowing they sell Interstate Batteries ( I've had good results with Interstate for years).
I have them check the Electronics... they tell me I need a new battery, we put one in.

Truck sits for 2 days, get in, dead battery, Jump it. go back to Tires Plus, they tell me the alternator is failing, replace it, and at the same time they put in a 2nd New Battery.

Again truck sits a day, battery in almost drained again. I drive the Highway to charge battery. Next day Battery is Dead.
Back to Tires Plus... This time they start to dig into the Electronics which I asked them to do the first day I went to them.
Diagnosed ... the Heated seat on the driver side was trying to turn itself on every 3 minutes or so. Thus draining the battery. They disconnect something and the truck starts fine. They tell me to check with the Local Chevy service dept. ( Which I should have done in the first place)

Get there explain all of the above... Tech cannot find anything drawing down the battery. It's currently sitting in the shop with a computer to it looking for low and High spikes in the mil amps or volts or whatever.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Did the heated seat module reset itself after being unplugged for a few days?

ConeKLR October 8th, 2009 8:45 PM

Do not...I repeat do not rule out the battery regardless if it passes a battery test. I dealt with this same issue for three months. I purchased the vehicle used about six months ago, it started fine for the first month. Then I started having this same random dead battery issue, some times it would start fine, some times not. I ride my bike most of the times to commute and run errands. The truck usually sits for days or some times a week with being touched. Somes times though i wouild use it daily. Regardless though some times it would start, some times not due to dead battery. I checked with the dealership and it does have the PCM reprogram done. As a test I ran the radio only engine off for about 20 minutes and that was enough to kill the battery. Voltage test showed the charging system seemed to working ok though at times after needing a jump start the volt gauge would show it was charging but then maybe 20 minutes later it would it kick down on charging show a reading of around 12.3 volts. I know the system is designed to kick down on charging when not needed but it makes no sense to me why it would kick down so early after having a completely dead battery. I decided the next day after work to run a draw test myself to see what if anything could be drawing power.
So the next morning I decide to drive the truck to work, hop in and it cranks up nicely. Travel about 6 miles to a gas station, fuel up then the battery was completely dead when I tried to start her up. Boy was I angry. Had flash backs of my younger days when I would lose it and punch out the damn windshields on my vehicles when they left me stranded. LOL
So anyways a dude offered a jump start. The battery sprang to life with plenty of power within seconds of hooking up the cables. Hmmm... odd. Fine then be that way I said to myself. I drove straight to Auto Zone and had them test the battery.
Kid said the test shows a possible dead cell issue with the battery. Fine I purchase their Interstate rebranded Duralast Gold for $149. Swapped out the battery. That was 6 weeks ago. I have yet to have the dead battery issue. I've ran the radio with engine off for 60 minutes, truck cranked up nicely.
I've had more than a few AC Delco battery with dead cells. I've had better luck with sears Die Hard batteries.
So again dont rule out a dead cell even with a new AC Delco battery. Dont rule that out with ANY new battery.

asholo October 9th, 2009 8:29 AM

Chevrolet Epica Car DVD Player with GPS DVB-T Bluetooth

car DVD player online store

Product Description:
  • 6.95Inch16:9 TFT Wide Digital LCD Monitor
  • Touch Screen With Graphic OSD Display
  • Play DVD/MP3/MPEG 4/WMA/CD/ SVCD/USB
  • Ready For Navigation Input Interface
  • Buitl-in Navigation(Optional)
  • Built-in Bluetooth
  • Super Sensitive FM/AM/RDS Radio(Optional)
  • Steering Wheel Control
  • DVD Changer(Optional)
  • Built-in 4×45W Amplifier, 5.1 Dolby
  • Car Camera In
  • Auto Dimmer
  • Super Sensitive TV Receiver
  • DVB-T Receiver Interface(Optional)
Warranty:One year
car DVD player online store

Silverado0792582 September 29th, 2011 12:08 AM

Battery Issue

I have found it to be battery issues with power loss. ACMelco issues a really faulty battery.. . . bottom line .. battery access is unreasonable, special terminal assembly makes it hard to add second battery source. Source's should have been switched for the beginning of production.

Chas1955 February 2nd, 2012 12:46 PM

Another one

Same problem another new battery 4 months ago and now its dead. Drove it to work Thursday & Friday last week & Wednesday it's dead ! Come on gm i've always been a GM man ,but now I'm looking at other brands this is it.

dbrakeman March 6th, 2013 10:17 PM

2007 Silverado Dead Battery

I bought my Silverado in 2007 and exactly 36 months into ownership the battery started dying. I waited until it was just over warranty to take it in and they would not do anything with it. I guess this happens all the time. I ended up buying a "battery back up" system from www.atct-guardiansys.com This was an easy system to install and came with everything included the holdown hardware and an amazing wireless remote to connect the batteries when I needed them. The system charges up one battery at a time so there's no voltage drop and after the auxilliary is charged it isolates it so there's no drain. the wireless remote connects them together for 60 seconds to provide starting voltage. it also allows me to connect offroad lights and other stuff so the starting battery is left alone. I have two years with it an no problems.

Dbrakeman