Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 23rd, 2015, 5:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2015, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have a relay I would check itor your speed sensor went out
Old August 14th, 2015, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Is there anything in the cruise control system that could be affected by temperature?
When outside temperature is 40° or below it works every time I engage it.
Outside temperature 40° to about 60° it works sometimes, maybe ½ the time.
Outside temperature >60° it NEVER works.

Took me a long time to correlate the temperature factor with cruise operation, but I have watched it thru 2 wintwers and summers and there IS a correlation.

Thanks anybody for any reply.
Old August 15th, 2015, 5:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hogdenc
They have a relay I would check itor your speed sensor went out
Checked relay, don't know where the speed sensor is or what it looks like. I'll find out and check it out.
Old August 16th, 2015, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default Brake light switch

I can't help but think it is the brake light switch. I wondered about the temperature facture and the one person's post about greasing the switch. Do you have the heater blowing the hot air on your feet in the winter?
Originally Posted by agss241
Is there anything in the cruise control system that could be affected by temperature?
When outside temperature is 40° or below it works every time I engage it.
Outside temperature 40° to about 60° it works sometimes, maybe ½ the time.
Outside temperature >60° it NEVER works.

Took me a long time to correlate the temperature factor with cruise operation, but I have watched it thru 2 wintwers and summers and there IS a correlation.

Thanks anybody for any reply.
Old August 16th, 2015, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default Re: Brake light switch

yes, I have checked the brake light switch and occasionally when I kinda "jiggle" it around the cruise will work, but not always. Haven't thought of lubricating it. Will try that. It's very difficult to get to up under the steering column.
Yes, I usually have the heater on, but not always (this IS SW Texas, air cond. & heater used on same day).

Last edited by agss241; August 16th, 2015 at 8:41 AM.
Old August 16th, 2015, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

It was difficult to know if the grease ever worked its way in, so I opted to replace it. It was so cheap on line I figured it was a low risk chance. It worked and I have not had a problem since. Good luck.
QUOTE=agss241;306897]yes, I have checked the brake light switch and occasionally when I kinda "jiggle" it around the cruise will work, but not always. Haven't thought of lubricating it. Will try that. It's very difficult to get to up under the steering column.
Yes, I usually have the heater on, but not always (this IS SW Texas, air cond. & heater used on same day).[/QUOTE]
Old August 16th, 2015, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Is the brake light switch the one by the brake pedal way up under the dashboard and steering column? Really hard to get to.
Old August 17th, 2015, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Yes that sounds right. I had to lay on my back on the floor. Very tight fit. But once you get in position and all your tools at hand it is and easy fix. A small light is essential.

Originally Posted by agss241
Is the brake light switch the one by the brake pedal way up under the dashboard and steering column? Really hard to get to.
Old August 17th, 2015, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks very much for the info. I'll give it a try. It'll be a tight fit, I'm 6'4, 280#, but I spent my career as a Navy submariuner so I've been in tight fitting places before. Thanks again.
Old September 30th, 2015, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Just replaced my brake switch on a 2008 GMC 1500. The cruise would work intermittently, then went totally dead. I did have the same--work in the winter better than summer problem that was mentioned in an earlier thread.

Bottom line is I got a new brake switch, (after losing the spring in the old one trying to clean it up), from a GM dealer for 23.27 after tax. Popped it in and everything works great!! The clip is kind of a PIA, but other than that if you pay attention to how it comes apart the reinstall took about 10 minutes.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Quick Reply: 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cruise Control Problem