Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2008 Silverado Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2008, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Silverado Cruise Control

The dealer tells me there is noadd-on cruise control available. The throttle system is a drive by wire and I can't believe there are no add-on units. It would seem that a simple controller and switch could be interfaced with the pedal to servo wiring.

I have thought about buying a universal cruise control and mounting the servo to the pedal, but I hate cluttering up the passenger compartment.

Has anyone out there found a kit or solution to this problem? I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks ........... Swampy
Old April 22nd, 2008, 3:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 2008 Silverado Cruise Control

Welcome to the forum!!! Someone here should be able to help, just hang in there.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 3:13 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You have 2 options. Both aftermarket. One is a drive by wire, where the aftermarket cruise fools the computer into thinking the pedal is being pushed down, its a bit of a pain to install, but have proved to be unreliable. The 2nd option, and is currently the method I am using, is to do a pedal pull. buy the aftermarket kit as if you have a throttle cable, but instead of hooking it up tot he throttle, you hook it up to the pedal. An even bigger pain in the ***, but reliable. Mount the bottle under the hood and drill a hole in the firewall to get the cable inside
Old April 23rd, 2008, 1:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that it may be as simple as adding a silverado steering wheel with the cruise control buttons then getting the feature reprogrammed in the trucks computer. I was looking into this my self if i ran across a new body style truck without cruise control. When I did a search on it, it looks like a guy with a colbalt had a base model without cruise and thats all he did to install it. They use the same LAN data systems as the new trucks. I believe if you get one that has the radio controls too, they will work as well. maybe someone on here can verify. Hope this helps.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 3:40 PM
CF Active Member

you would think with the modern computer technology that vehicles have, that they would be able to add just about anything to your truck that you want as long as you have the cash flow to pay
Old September 7th, 2008, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Alright, this is what i have found out. You have to order the chevy stearing wheel, with or without radio controls, and also the wiring harness. After you receive these parts find a shady dealership and have them instal the parts and reprogram the comp, or you can do what the one guy says about pulling the gas pedal method.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:05 PM
CF Active Member

Just to save you some time, money and agrivation. The dealer cannot reprogram the BCM for cruise control. GM has locked out the BCMand is no longer supporting VCI numbers for BCM reprograming for cruise control.
The only way possible is to add the pedal pull like Shawn has stated.

Good luck to you if you do try to add LAN bus interface.

Not even installing the GM steering wheel with factory cruise will work.

You can still reprogram the cobalts but not the full size trucks.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
CF Active Member

#PIT3981G: Questions On Adding OEM Factory Options - keywords accessory cruise control dvd heat liftgate mirror navigation pedal radio seat video washers - (Jun 6, 2008) [/align]
[align=left] [align=left]

Subject:
Questions On Adding OEM Factory Options[/align][align=left]

Models:
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL [/align][align=left]

2008 Hummer H2[/align]

[hr]

This PI was superceded to change the recommendation statement to include VCI numbers for techline. Please discard PIT3981F.
[hr]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Some customers may ask to add one or more of the following GM OEM Factory Options to the vehicle before or after the sale.
[ol]Navigation Radio
Rear Camera System
Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist (URPA)
DVD Video Screen
Power fold-and-tumble second-row seat
Rear Power Liftgate
Heated Washers
Adjustable Pedals
Moisture Sensitive Wipers (Rainsense)
Automatic Day-Night Mirror
XM receiver
Power Retractable Running Boards
Power windows and power locks
Dual Batteries
Cruise Contro [/ol]
Recommendation/Instructions:
"If the following items listed above are not available in a GM Accessory Kit, please do not try to add an OEM option to the vehicle. GM does not endorse the addition of any OEM system that was not originally installed on the vehicle from the factory. Any attempt to add an OEM option(s) will not be covered under warranty, will not be supported with SPS programming (VCI number) and Technical Assistance Center will not provide support for options added after vehicle manufacture."
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.[/align][/align]
Old October 7th, 2008, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

I'm new here, first time on the site, fantastic information.

So if I read the bulletin right the really nice used 2007 2500 HD LS new body style I just bought without cruise control can only have a mechanical pedal device added?

I'm sure they sent someone to brain fade school on that one - I can't believe I cannot get electronic CC added to this really nice product. Should have kept my '94 -
Old October 7th, 2008, 9:58 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If your truck is the new body style then your only 2 options are what ii hae stated above

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Cruise Control