Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2013, 7:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I don't believe it is the forum for political views..." Really? Is that why you went on and on basically talking up how great the UAW is, and how bad corporate America is? And how ungrateful I am in regard to GM, my ex-employer.

Hell, if you had really read my post you would see I actually stood up for GM due to a video from Vince Wade bashing GM and saying they sold out to China. And I certainly did not go after the person who posted the video. It was his right as it was my right to (yes) stand up for GM. Should I have not said how I feel about the UAW? Probably, but I get a bit too honest at times and don't hold back my thoughts.

So, I'm not going to get into any BS with you (mcox8051) since I don't now you and you certainly do not know me.

As for me, I retired from GM after 17 years in service engineering. Note the 17 years, not 30 years as you assumed! I also receive NO retirement from GM! In case you never read the papers or talk with any retired GM "white" collar workers (although I didn't wear a white shirt for many years) GM decided that all of us "white" collar workers had to take a complete buyout or they were going to roll over our retirements to an annuity with (I believe) Prudential (could be wrong since I didn't take the annuity). So, I took the buyout, amount too low, but hell, am I going to sue? Nope, it would take years, I'd be dead before there was a settlement, so I just decided to take it and say I owe NO allegiance to GM.

So, I have no link to GM in that respect. I was screwed, and the UAW members got their pension and healthcare benefits basically taken care of by the US taxpayer, but that's life; but it does grind away at you. And did I mention that the healthcare basically went away the second year I was gone from GM. So I hold no allegiance to GM unless it is to my benefit. I made a great salary at GM, but I gave them 100 percent when I worked there, so I do not feel bad at all.

As for the employee purchase, I know for a fact that GM still made at least a 10K profit on the truck I purchased. It was a loaded truck (related to a higher profit), in the last year of the GMT900 life cycle; thus the tooling was all paid for, R&D was paid for, engineering (other than service) was paid for; and the profit was large. So even though I made a great deal on a good truck (made in MX); GM didn't get hurt by it at all.

So, if you want to judge me as a "bad" guy, please do. Believe me, prior to working many called me much worse at my previous job. Whenever you see my name on a post...don't read it.

I certainly didn't want to cause any animosity with anyone; but honestly, I will not apologize for my feelings. I just want to help out fellow truck owners if I can, when I can; that's all.

Have a great day....
Old March 8th, 2013, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry to interrupt the current conversation but I'm looking at getting a used Silverado tomorrow and I'm wondering what year I should be aiming for to avoid these issues.
Old March 9th, 2013, 8:56 AM
CF Junior Member

No problem, in my opinion that conversation is over. And sorry to everyone for the interruption.

I don't believe it is a big deal on the majority of trucks out there, but you want to make sure you don't get a truck with the problem that's for sure.

Only suggestion I would have is to drive it at all speeds under as many road conditions that you can. Get it on an interstate and drive it a the speed people here have noted as displaying the problem.

Other than checking the motor mounts, there is probably no other way to discover the vibration issue. (That I can think of now.)
Old March 9th, 2013, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Good question Mrke1, as I have asked and not received an answer myself. From reading all 20 pages, it "appears" to be 2009-2012 Silverado's with the 5,3L engine and extended cab, but again, this is just a guess as NO one will post an answer.
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, I actually published a bulletin that states it "could" be 1999 and up. But again, if you are looking for an exact feature that will cause this vibration, except for the mounts, there is none. It appears that GM engineering cannot determine the cause of the vibration if it is not unbalanced tire or other suspension components or bad motor mount design.

So, the only way to find out if a particular vehicle has the problem is to drive it.

If it has the vibration issue pass it by and don't buy it. Even though the vibration issue on that particular vehicle could be due to tires, rotors, etc,; there is no way to know for sure.

If at speeds indicated in the many posts there is no vibration, it is most likely the vehicle does not have a vibration issue.

Other than that, I have no idea how to tell you if a vehicle has the vibration issued talked about in this thread. If someone else knows how to determine it, I would be happy to find out what it is.
Old March 9th, 2013, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Drove both a 2012 crew cab(40k miles, 4 speed) and 2010 ext cab(16k miles, 6 speed) today, both 5.3L LTs. The 2012 had brand new tires, the 2010 still had its stock tires.

Took both out on the highway and the 2012 rode very rough. The difference between the 2010 and the 2012 were night and day when compared at higher speeds. The 2010 was pretty smooth and the 2012 shook pretty bad. I would almost imagine your body would be numb after a long car trip. I brought a buddy along and he mentioned the ride quality of the 2012 as well. Needless to say, I ended up with going with the 2010. I may have just gotten luckily, but based on what I've driven and seen here on the forums, be wary of '11-'12 models.
Old March 9th, 2013, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry for starting such a controversy, I just thought the vidio clip was interesting. But never mind that lets get back to what this forum is for.

I have an updated.
Got a call from both GM and the dealer and was told to stop in monday to order my 2014. They will be taking back my '11 for a small usage fee and any difference in msrp. Seems like a good deal since I could not trade it in or sell it outright and buy a new one for that price even with the supplier discount.

If anything changes I will keep updating.

My mistake was that I testdrove one on the lot and it seemed ok so I ordered on but did not testdrive it when I picked it up. I driven both a '12 and '13, both vibrated. The '13 was much worse than mine.

I will make sure I take the '14 for a nice long drive before I sign any papers or hand over any $.

As I have alway been a Chevy owner, most likely I will continue.
Old March 9th, 2013, 7:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Good to hear and hope it all works on ok. My 2013 could not be any smoother on the roads, so I'm lucky.
Old March 21st, 2013, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

I have this same issue on my 2012 1500 but it doesn't happen all of the time it seems like it only usually happens at 65-70mph and only on every now and again. I'm not sure why it's happening I mean it's a brand new truck but since it's only occasional I don't mind it too much. I'm curious to see if there is a problem with your truck or if thats just how chevys are now.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 8:15 AM
CF Junior Member

DealershipForum.com - View Single Post - GM changes "Goodwill" Policy.

Quick Reply: 2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.