Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 Silverado radio recall 14V301

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2014, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2014 Silverado radio recall 14V301

Got another recall notice on my 2014 Silverado 1500 worktruck today.

This time they want me to come in and sit around for 2 or 3 hours while they re-program my standard in-dash radio. Apparently it could stop working, and then the seatbelt and open door chimes would also stop working.

Anyone know why it takes them 2 hours or more to re-program a factory in-dash radio unit? I could install 10 fresh copies of Windows 8 in that time! I don't mind the recall, I do mind sitting around for hours waiting on something that wasn't my doing.
Old July 8th, 2014, 5:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey hotmetal! We certainly understand that having to wait around at the dealership while recalls are performed can pose as an inconvenience. Have they offered courtesy transportation while they're servicing your truck? If you'd like for us to contact your dealer to look into this option for you, just private message us your VIN, contact information and dealership name.

Thanks!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last edited by Chevrolet Customer Service; July 9th, 2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old July 8th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I can confirm it does take 2 hours to complete this programming recall. Most programming can be done considerably faster but for some reason this one is lengthy.
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, Amber & tech2 — this truck is the 2nd new vehicle I've owned in my life (I'm 62 & retired) — and my 3rd Silverado in a row.

I appreciate the response and info. I was astonished when they told me the reprogramming would take hours, and, being retired, had time to spend half a day being shuttled from one overworked GM customer service rep to another, none of whom could give me a rational answer. That kinda set me off.

I still want a technical explanation, I'm perfectly capable of comprehending it, and, more importantly, very interested in knowing more about the computer(s) in my dashboard in general. For instance, why can't I (or GM) make the clock and temp readout in the upper right corner of the radio screen a little bigger so I can actually read it without pulling off the road so I can bend over and see it? Otherwise, what's the point of having it?

My first truck, a 1986 Silverado, which I bought used at a Minnesota Highway Dept. auction, didn't have any clock at all, let alone a thermometer. Just an AM radio in the dash. And a couple hundred thousand miles on it...
Old July 9th, 2014, 3:37 PM
Official GM Rep

You're welcome, hotmetal. Sorry that I'm unable to provide you with the technicalities of the reprogram, but definitely let me know if you happen to have any additional questions.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Originally Posted by hotmetal
Thanks, Amber & tech2 — this truck is the 2nd new vehicle I've owned in my life (I'm 62 & retired) — and my 3rd Silverado in a row.

I appreciate the response and info. I was astonished when they told me the reprogramming would take hours, and, being retired, had time to spend half a day being shuttled from one overworked GM customer service rep to another, none of whom could give me a rational answer. That kinda set me off.

I still want a technical explanation, I'm perfectly capable of comprehending it, and, more importantly, very interested in knowing more about the computer(s) in my dashboard in general. For instance, why can't I (or GM) make the clock and temp readout in the upper right corner of the radio screen a little bigger so I can actually read it without pulling off the road so I can bend over and see it? Otherwise, what's the point of having it?

My first truck, a 1986 Silverado, which I bought used at a Minnesota Highway Dept. auction, didn't have any clock at all, let alone a thermometer. Just an AM radio in the dash. And a couple hundred thousand miles on it...
Old July 9th, 2014, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Amber —

I plan to keep driving until the radio stops working. If I could permanently turn off the door chimes and key-in-ignition chimes myself, I would.

Maybe by then your IT dept. will catch on that they really need to figure out why their process takes so long and fix it. This is a silly way to tie up the dealers' repair bays, along with unnecessarily inconveniencing the owners.

I still want the technical information on this procedure. I see that the temporary user fix is to disconnect and reconnect the battery cable. Sounds like Microsoft Windows circa 1989 to me, when the system crashes, turn the box off and turn it back on again.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
You're welcome, hotmetal. Sorry that I'm unable to provide you with the technicalities of the reprogram, but definitely let me know if you happen to have any additional questions.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 10th, 2014, 6:28 PM
Official GM Rep

hotmetal,

I'm aware that you can change the chime volume through the Vehicle Settings option from the MyLink system, however, as far as I know there isn't a way to eliminate this feature. Again, sorry for any inconvenience you've experienced due to the reprogram. We've documented your feedback within our database which can be viewed by various departments within General Motors. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Originally Posted by hotmetal
Amber —

I plan to keep driving until the radio stops working. If I could permanently turn off the door chimes and key-in-ignition chimes myself, I would.

Maybe by then your IT dept. will catch on that they really need to figure out why their process takes so long and fix it. This is a silly way to tie up the dealers' repair bays, along with unnecessarily inconveniencing the owners.

I still want the technical information on this procedure. I see that the temporary user fix is to disconnect and reconnect the battery cable. Sounds like Microsoft Windows circa 1989 to me, when the system crashes, turn the box off and turn it back on again.