Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

700r4 lost forward gear but has reverse

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2010, 12:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700r4 lost forward gear but has reverse

I am new to trucks/ chevys in general, so I may not know all the terms, but willing to learn. I got this truck from a friend and it lost all forwards gear, only has reverse. It shifts into reverse pretty hard, so my first instinct is to pull the pan and look at the tranny fluid - its clean. So guess I am trying to figure out what other problems it could be ? I have searched but seems I can only find the opposite problem (no reverse, but has forwards gears). I have tried shifting it manually into the forward gears and nothing.

Any ideas/ suggestions would be great
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need a rebuild!.. or get a trans from a junkyard
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

forgot to mention -- its a 1990 GMC 1500 4x4, Ext. Cab. The transmission was used that was put it but the guy said it was rebuilt (a close friend). Also used the torque converter that came with the transmission (not the one that came with the truck).
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gotstylez
you need a rebuild!.. or get a trans from a junkyard
I was afraid that would be the option, any idea how you lose all the forwards gear but manage to keep reverse ?
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:23 AM
CF Junior Member

I think it's weird. I've always heard that reverse is normally the first go, but never the opposite... Is it a manual or auto trans?
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bsballfn172
I think it's weird. I've always heard that reverse is normally the first go, but never the opposite... Is it a manual or auto trans?
yep true. reverse is always first to go
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:30 AM
CF Veteran

Pretty sure the trans is shot... But with the truck off. and the parking brake on, have someone shift it and look under the truck at the linkage on the trans, it could be binding. Happened to my buddys 69 GMC.
Old March 15th, 2010, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
Pretty sure the trans is shot... But with the truck off. and the parking brake on, have someone shift it and look under the truck at the linkage on the trans, it could be binding. Happened to my buddys 69 GMC.

I tried that after doing the filter change and its shifting fine into gear, just not engaging inside the transmission. Do you think the Torque converter is still good or could that be damaged ? Trying to figure out if I should replace it as well since I have to do the transmission.
Old March 15th, 2010, 2:07 PM
CF Veteran

Replace the torque converter whether you rebuild your trans or get a new one. If your fluid was shot, you'll never get all the old fluid out of the TC.
Old March 19th, 2016, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default no forward but has reverse

its kind of sad that no one on here has any real transmission experience. if you get a ATSG manual on 700R4's or 4L60's. it has a section that lists conditions, inspect components and for causes. It clearly states No Drive in Drive Range condition. inspect component- torque converter, for cause - stator roller clutch not holding. converter not bolted to flex plate. and no reverse isn't the first to go on a 700R4,4l60.4l60E family its generally the 3-4 clutch pack. then if you continue to drive it will burn out the 2-4 band then finally low- reverse clutch pack at the very back bottom of the case.
second clue was he said that it was suppose to have been rebuilt but reused the old torque converter. I've rebuilt around thirty plus 700R4's, 4L60's (700R4's)(new designation), 4L60E(electronic). and truly is it rare that the reverse clutch pack is ever burnt up. except for mileage they generally look to be in good shape almost re useable. the one's that actually go in the reverse drum. along with the overrun clutch plates, and sometimes the forward clutch plates in the input housing assembly they generally look pretty good too. you might want to buy a ATSG manual it list several conditions and most likely causes.

Quick Reply: 700r4 lost forward gear but has reverse