Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

81 chevy c10 engine advive

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2011, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 81 chevy c10 engine advice

ok, i have a 1981 chevy c10 with a 5.0 305 v8. now what i need some advice on rebuilding the engine and i want to put a better cam, valves, intake, ect. and i need some good ideas on where to get some good namebrand QUALITY parts. i want a little more power than just stock but with keeping the same size engine. so if anyone has some tips/tricks to squeeze out a little more power please post to help me out. thanks : )

Last edited by navyblueburnout; January 11th, 2011 at 2:00 PM.
Old January 12th, 2011, 8:38 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by navyblueburnout
ok, i have a 1981 chevy c10 with a 5.0 305 v8. now what i need some advice on rebuilding the engine and i want to put a better cam, valves, intake, ect. and i need some good ideas on where to get some good namebrand QUALITY parts. i want a little more power than just stock but with keeping the same size engine. so if anyone has some tips/tricks to squeeze out a little more power please post to help me out. thanks : )

well that depends on a lot of stuff, how are you using the truck? what are you wanting to spend? how mechanicaly inclined are you? and how much time do you want to put into it?

you will have to excuse me here, I was reciently turned onto the LS motors. here in my zip code I can pick up a 5.3 or a 6.0 for under $1500. that is what the machine shop charged me to prep the block, and order the kit for my 327 that is now a boat anchor. if you are going to restore the ol girl, like my son (1982 shortbed, we found a nearly perfict step side to put on it) put a LS series in it. more power, beter throttle responce, and better millage, all in one package. When I start the conversion on my '97 it will be posted on this forum
Old January 12th, 2011, 8:43 PM
CF Active Member

navy? I am assuming that you are active duty? I served '80 to '84 onboard the KittyHawk, Nimitz, and the America, I have been arround the world litterally!!!!
Old January 13th, 2011, 8:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm, 81 305 huh? Short wheel base? Well, ok first things first, how are you going to use the car? Now, I d recommend removing the 305, selling it and buying a Oldsmobile 403 to put in there. Just an idea!
Old January 13th, 2011, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

well i plan on using it as an everyday driver that i can have fun in on the weekends. im somewhat mechanically inclined but i also have ALOT of friends who are more in depth than me. so skills aren't really an issue. i want it to be a good project and money is not that big of a deal for me because i have a good set salary and almost no bills. thanks for the help and the advice. keep it coming.
Old January 13th, 2011, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tinbender59
navy? I am assuming that you are active duty? I served '80 to '84 onboard the KittyHawk, Nimitz, and the America, I have been arround the world litterally!!!!
yes im a Navy man. active duty currently stationed in il. going through my school but kind of stuck in oklahoma city trying to heal after a bad rollover accident. my current roommate was actually stationed on the KittyHawk. small world huh?