Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'91 Silverado 1500 5.7L Miss @ Idle

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2010, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 Silverado 1500 5.7L Miss @ Idle

Hello, I have a 1991 Silverado that previously had a 5.0L 305 in it. Well it had a dead miss when idling for a while. Then one day it tried to stall on the freeway. So I took it home and changed the fuel filter and did a routine tune up. It worked fine for a while then started stalling at stoplights and tried to die a few more times on the freeway. So I took it back home and replaced the fuel pump, a better fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, pcv valve, iac valve, egr valve, and throttle position sensor and it still was missing when idling. So I took it to a shop and they told me that a valve was burnt. We swapped the 305 with a 350 and used all my top end stuff. Well I got it back the other day and it still has a miss when idling. Can somebody on here please give me some ideas on where to begin...
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with a 350 I changed the distributer stem it was broken so the mechanic said but stll stalled after taking it to him. I am going to check fuel pressure. At low idle it seems to be timing but with higher rpm sounds great weird any solutions out there. Someone said it might be the coolant sensor telling the ecm not to send so much fuel?
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:56 PM
CF Active Member

Default miss

I had a 1994 TBI that was having issues and a friend of mine was a line mechanic for GM. he said that there was a service buliten out on the TBI's stating that the distributor shaft would become magneized and hence the magnetic field would interfear with the pickup? this was not my problem, mine turned out to be a bad pickup sensor. check out your sensor maybe see if it needs cleaned. my GTP had metal debries from the dirt road stuck to it. (GTP pickup is down on the crank)
Old January 24th, 2011, 9:17 AM
CF Active Member

im having similar problems with my 97 k1500, i was getting a bad miss and huge loss of power and i assumed that it was just the fuel pump going out, so before i could even get the pump my truck broke down completely, just will not start and back fires like crazy, so i replaced the fuel pump thinking that maybe the pump just went out but no such luck, i know there is some sort of timing issue and it sounds like we all have the same problem, im going to mess around with my distributor today, also before the truck broke down i brought it to autozone and checked the engine light, i had one for mass air flow sensor (which is probably from me porting it) and one for cam shaft position sensor, i dont know if that narrows down the problem or helps anyone but please give me feedback