Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

96 1500 troubles.

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2009, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear it.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 5:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi roscowgo,

Welcome to the forums.

The door handle, maybe you've got three hands with 9" fingers and the patience of a saint, but otherwise, I'd plan on removing that door panel to replace that handle.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rivereye
Hi roscowgo,

Welcome to the forums.

The door handle, maybe you've got three hands with 9" fingers and the patience of a saint, but otherwise, I'd plan on removing that door panel to replace that handle.

Yeah, so me and my bleeding cuticles have found out.

And.... so far so bad on getting the panel off. managed the trim piece around the handle and the grip thing you close the door with. It looks almost like it's riveted to a pice of metal just under the handle.

As to the shift points from earlier, the traffic sucked, but they seemed to be about 15 25 35-39 then around 50 for OD.

Didn't get to sniff the dipstick. Got stuck dogsitting in an apt where I'm not supposed to have a dog with an aggressive feral cat with kittens that's found a way into the walls of the apt from outside.

It's been one of those weeks.
Old September 4th, 2009, 9:45 AM
CF Senior Member

your shift patterns seem to be normal...as for your week....between yesterday's stories and now the cat stories.....i haven't smiled this much in a while.......glad your part of the team
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Back to the door panel- they do everything to the driver's door but GLUE IT ON. The window and door controls pop out as an entire unit. There's a bolt under the trim elbow rest/door pull handle in the middle right above the actual door release handle. There's two screws at the bottom of the door.

My truck's door hardware is all 7MM, I don't know about yours. I found using a plastic putty knife and a plastic shoehorn helps to preserve the newness of the interior door quality.

The lock switch pops out, there may be a screw or two back there. There's also a torx bolt under a matching plastic trim rosette inside on the panel adjacent to the door latch. And there's a rubber body bolt right across from the fuse panel over by the door hinge. If you've got the map compartment on the bottom of the panel, it's held in by a screw at the bottom of the panel, when you pull the map cubby out you can access the bottom-inside of the door. There are plastic supports which the door must be lifted from on the inside of the panel.

I want to heartily recommend a good meal, a cold beverage, a mellow attitude, and some strong anger medication for this particular journey into madness. A thread search for additional pointers would probably be in order.
Old September 4th, 2009, 1:09 PM
CF Active Member

Default good

hey ROSCOWGO i aggree put your self in a state of unawareness possibly thorzine and shuffle to the local advance or auto zone and pick up a door panel fork ,They are inexpensive and it makes all the differance pulling a panel and saves the plasic rivets. but if you jack some up they sell differant sizes too. Of course if you take my advise about the thorzine you will probably just break the window hell with the handle crawl inside and count your toes from one to one hundred, either way works depending on the frame of mind your in. i have the gm service and troubleshooting manuels for that year give me the trans type and symtoms what ever info you can provide again so i dont have to back track and i will see what they have to say about it. A mental health facility huh! ha ha ! whos ta say !Crazy is not nessacerly a bad thing and probably the reason places like this existwooo to deep for me man ! Back to the garage for some oooommmm ooooommm time

Last edited by tm4hammer; September 4th, 2009 at 1:22 PM.
Old September 4th, 2009, 9:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

door panels require gentle anger, that means when pulling the panel out try not to break the stupidly long plastic pins that hold the panel on, if you break a few you can move others around to different spots, thank god they put so many on there, as for the tranny, you gotta go where the codes lead you, if they are not going to tell you what the codes are then go somewhere else
Old September 5th, 2009, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Ack, I think the wallcats stole my internet connection last night.

I'll stop on my way down to a nerd party i'm going to today and get em checked. And hopefully not be too scatterbrained to write em down.

I'll check on one of those forks while I'm at it.
Old September 6th, 2009, 3:00 AM
CF Active Member

ACK! WHAT THE HE.. IS ACK! HEY Bubba you aint starting to medicate two days before the job are ya ! i heard that if you self medicate antisipating shi. ! Then there is a real possibility that you may be or have an addictive personality!! ha welcome to the aa of chevy owners brother! grab a hammer and a cold one and lets get this done .First and foremost dont do that ack thing if you slept with the cat we dont wanna know it you ate a rug we dont wanna know if you ate weeell then we wanna know if i were you and in the state of mind you are in i think i would truck on over and practise on the neighbors car first ! makes sense to me bro ! lol suck it up ! damn kids anyhow
Old September 6th, 2009, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Well did get the door handle done today. Only managed to break one drillbit off in that stupid rivet.

I'm gonna check on a filler neck, looks pretty easy. 3 screws holding it on the body and one hose clamp. Hey, stop snickering. It Could happen. It won't but it could.

On the transmission, did get the code checked, I think the number the guy told me was p1708, message was something on the order of manufacturer transmission module. 0.o Uh. Alrighty. I'll just take that and my .75 and go get a cup of coffee. I've got it written down on an envelope somewhere in the truck. I'll fetch it in when I go out for food.

Quick Reply: 96 1500 troubles.