Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

96 1500 troubles.

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 1500 troubles.

Hello all, I have a 96 1500 2wd Cheyenne with a few problems. Biggest and most worrisome is the transmission. OD works fine, for about 30 minutes of highway riding, then the check engine light comes on and if it needs to shift it really shifts HARD, no excessive revving or anything though. Solution is to drive for 25 mins in od then shift to third, if it starts happening, pull over for 15-20 secs and then drive in 3rd, both result in smooth shifts all day long. Also the check engine light doesn't come on when you to the 25 then to 3 thing. It's been taken to a couple of dealers and they say "replace the trans" Which doesn't make any sense to me. Something mechanical would be broke all the time no? Fluid has been changed. No difference. Old stuff didn't have chunks or shavings in it. Does that sound like some kind of overheating sensor or electronic gadjet to you folks?

Next is an annoyance, Inside door handle broke, I've got a replacement unit, but do I need to take the entire panel off or can I do just the handle assembly?

3rd is a hard start problem, only happens if it's been setting a couple of days. And then not all the time. Seems more prevalent when it's been raining. Cranks fine, but can take 15-30 second of cranking, then it idles rough till it burns off whatever is causing the trouble. I saw something that seemed related about new fuel pumps, I'm fairly sure dad replaced the fuel pump and filter not long before he bought his new truck and the old one got passed to me. Any ideas?

fourth is an easy one, leaky filler pipe. seems to be leaking around the edge of the rubber hose from the tank, got a temporary patch using gas tank fixer epoxy at the moment.

Oh, and howdy!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 1:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by roscowgo
Hello all, I have a 96 1500 2wd Cheyenne with a few problems. Biggest and most worrisome is the transmission. OD works fine, for about 30 minutes of highway riding, then the check engine light comes on and if it needs to shift it really shifts HARD, no excessive revving or anything though. Solution is to drive for 25 mins in od then shift to third, if it starts happening, pull over for 15-20 secs and then drive in 3rd, both result in smooth shifts all day long. Also the check engine light doesn't come on when you to the 25 then to 3 thing. It's been taken to a couple of dealers and they say "replace the trans" Which doesn't make any sense to me. Something mechanical would be broke all the time no? Fluid has been changed. No difference. Old stuff didn't have chunks or shavings in it. Does that sound like some kind of overheating sensor or electronic gadjet to you folks?

Next is an annoyance, Inside door handle broke, I've got a replacement unit, but do I need to take the entire panel off or can I do just the handle assembly?

3rd is a hard start problem, only happens if it's been setting a couple of days. And then not all the time. Seems more prevalent when it's been raining. Cranks fine, but can take 15-30 second of cranking, then it idles rough till it burns off whatever is causing the trouble. I saw something that seemed related about new fuel pumps, I'm fairly sure dad replaced the fuel pump and filter not long before he bought his new truck and the old one got passed to me. Any ideas?

fourth is an easy one, leaky filler pipe. seems to be leaking around the edge of the rubber hose from the tank, got a temporary patch using gas tank fixer epoxy at the moment.

Oh, and howdy!
welcome,well im gonna have to agree with the stealership,as iv'e had the same problem in the past.The tranny shifting hard is not good and the computer will throw codes for that specific reason...as for the door handle i would remove the panel to get a good look at the job.

for the rough starts etc have you gave her a good maintenance makeover?all the goodies would be a good start,pluge wires cap/rotor etc etc...

on the filler tank someone will chime in on a fix they have done im sure
Old September 3rd, 2009, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

The filler should be cake... depending on how it's affixed to the body.

What exactly was the issue with the transmission? It's all academic atm since I aint got the cash for a replacement.

*edit, I'm fairly positive the plugs/wire are both new. Other stuff I'm not sure about.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 1:41 PM
CF Senior Member

do you get any whinning coming from the tranny?

do you happen to know what your shift points are 1 2 3 od..?

when the stealership checked it did they give you any codes that it may have thrown?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

No whining that I can hear, points er.. not a freakin clue. I want to say that it will shift into 3rd from od at around 3.5-4k, the others Feel about the same.

I drive kinda like it's a tractor though.

They did, but I don't know what they were off the top of my head. I'll be taking a trip this weekend and I'll see if I can't stop by an autozone and get em.

*edit, It's been like that for I would guess a year or so. Never seems to get any better or worse. It might take a very little bit longer when it's cold and or rainy. And it's like clockwork, on a known stretch of road I can pull off before I get to a certain point and shift into third,(luckily right where the limit drops back to 55 so I don't turn into a gas funnel), and its fine. And thats sedate interstate driving, never shifts out of OD.

Last edited by roscowgo; September 3rd, 2009 at 1:53 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 2:01 PM
CF Senior Member

while its running and warm check the fluid, does it smell good or burnt?

on shifting i was saying what mph does it change from the gears?if you happen to know.....
Old September 3rd, 2009, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Off the top of my head I don't. I'll try to pay attention going home today.

No idea on the smell. As I'm at work in a mental health facility they might put me in a dinner jacket if I go out and start sniffing the dipstick in my truck right now.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 2:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by roscowgo
Off the top of my head I don't. I'll try to pay attention going home today.

No idea on the smell. As I'm at work in a mental health facility they might put me in a dinner jacket if I go out and start sniffing the dipstick in my truck right now.

hell ya your funny brother

that would look real funny,truck running smelling the stick....
Old September 3rd, 2009, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not sure if I'm more worried about them thinking I'm crazy, or if they'd just leave me alone because it's just a new symptom in the ongoing nutball cycle.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 3:24 PM
CF Senior Member

yeah my neighbors always point and laugh when they drive by my house and see me inside the engine bay on my blazer

you got me in stitches today bro

Quick Reply: 96 1500 troubles.