Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

96 5.7 problems

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2021, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 5.7 problems

Hello all ..have a 96 Silverado extended cab 4x4, 5.7.
the truck stalls, backfires after it warms up. The truck was given to me needs a lot work..could anyone give some ideas as to what may be go in on..and the truck does not have catalytic converters just straight pipe true dual exhaust..thank you for any help
Old February 13th, 2021, 5:06 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

When someone does some altering to a vehicle anything is possible . We don't know if they stopped at dual exhausts.
You might consider starting with a good visual exam and look for what else was possibly altered.
Plugs , wires are always a good starting point. At least you know they are good. Don't forget the fuel filer. Make sure you know how to depressurize the fuel system before attempting the replacement.
.I always remind anyone working with gasoline , don't use an electrical drop light under the vehicle when changing the fuel filter. If gasoline splashes on that hot bulb, we'll be reading about you in the paper.
Old February 13th, 2021, 5:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by danial rousseau
Hello all ..have a 96 Silverado extended cab 4x4, 5.7.
the truck stalls, backfires after it warms up. The truck was given to me needs a lot work..could anyone give some ideas as to what may be go in on..and the truck does not have catalytic converters just straight pipe true dual exhaust..thank you for any help
If it is backfiring, it is ignition, I read you state only when warm. Possibly needs a tuneup as you didn't say how many miles.
Old February 13th, 2021, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hanky
When someone does some altering to a vehicle anything is possible . We don't know if they stopped at dual exhausts.
You might consider starting with a good visual exam and look for what else was possibly altered.
Plugs , wires are always a good starting point. At least you know they are good. Don't forget the fuel filer. Make sure you know how to depressurize the fuel system before attempting the replacement.
.I always remind anyone working with gasoline , don't use an electrical drop light under the vehicle when changing the fuel filter. If gasoline splashes on that hot bulb, we'll be reading about you in the paper.
oh yeah they butchered this truck pretty bad ill take some pics of the engine. Compartment and find more and more stuff not right
and the mileage im not sure..only a couple of the gauges work the temp and the speedometer

Last edited by danial rousseau; February 13th, 2021 at 5:28 PM.
Old February 13th, 2021, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the quick responses I now a starting place