Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

96 Silverado "shuddering" on highway

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2015, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Silverado "shuddering" on highway

Hey guys I got a 96 Silverado that will on and off "shudder" at highspeeds while maintaining speed on the highway. I took it to the dealership. Was told my truck needed a new front end, shocks, and tires. $2500 and a week later I'm driving home from work and it is still just as bad... Not a happy camper. What is going on?
Old October 21st, 2015, 9:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thing happened to my truck, but it turned out that my tires only needed to be balanced.
Old October 21st, 2015, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by extremeadventurer
Same thing happened to my truck, but it turned out that my tires only needed to be balanced.
Someone else said the same thing. Is it possible the dealership didn't balance my tires properly when they did the alignment with my new front end and new tires?
Old October 25th, 2015, 8:03 PM
CF Active Member

sounds like you may have tranny torque convertor shudder.next time when it happens ,drop your transmission in 3rd gear and see if the shudder goes away and if it does youll probably be looking at new tranny.seen this issue before.also if you had new tires installed they usually are balanced when installed.
Old October 26th, 2015, 7:24 AM
CF Active Member

Service the tranny...fresh oil and filter. You may need to do this several times but it's cheaper than a new tranny. Depending on the mileage you may want to do a complete flush.