Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

99 Silverado: leaking water (I think) above where the exhaust bolts onto the manifold

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2010, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 Silverado: leaking water (I think) above where the exhaust bolts onto the manifold

My 99 Silverado, 5.3l, 1500, Z71, 4X4 is leaking what I think is water from under the right side just above where the exhaust bolts onto the manifold. I noticed a line of what I thought was water on the road after I parked it a couple of nights ago. I rubbed it in my fingers, smelled it to see if it was oil or p/s fluid or God only knows what, but there was no oily viscosity, nor was there any smell. As I was heading to the island to see my son, I was notified by a guy in the ferry line up that my truck is dripping underneath. Son of a - - - - - I think to myself, but thank the fellow for letting me know. I get under the truck and see that it is indeed leaking, but at least it's not pouring out. I check the fluids as best as I can in the failing light, the gauges all look good, so I cross my fingers and make the half/hour drive into town after the boat docks. I am unsure what's happened, but I'm guessing maybe this is the beginning of a water pump failure. I had one years ago on one of my cars (a chevy celebrity), but all I remember is a terrible rattling sound, but no leaking. If any of you guys in the community have any ideas or need more information to make a more educated guess, please get in touch with me. Thanks to all of you in advance.
Old June 11th, 2010, 6:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

useally if its the water pump..when u start it and let it sit for like a min. there will be a puddle under your truck... and it will dripping
Old June 12th, 2010, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Davey. After I start it, it does start to drip after about a minute. Can you tell me exactly where you might see it dripping from under the truck/99 silverado/4X4/1500 (like front right; front left; center, and so on)? Also, how can you tell for sure if it is the water pump? (there is no tell-tale rattling from a shot bearing in the pump that I might have expected).
Old June 12th, 2010, 7:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its usually in the front of the motor in the middle. just it may be dripping on other stuff and dripping on the ground somewhere else.. from the sounds of it its the water pump. just watch your reserve coolant tank..it'll get low make sure its always full to the marks on the tank. water pups should be too much usually $30-$45 with a $5-10$ core charge but u get that back when u return the old one