Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

99 tahoe 350 loss of coolant, cant figure out.

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2012, 12:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't usually be able to see it when you change your oil. I never did I didn't know the coolant was getting in my oil until I took the valve cover off. That would be the easiest way to tell if it is in your oil because when the coolant mixes with oil it sticks to everything and won't come out when you change your oil. It is most likely your intake gasket or even the intake. The gasket is reatively cheap and you can find an intake at a junk yard for about $100.
Old July 4th, 2012, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

yes
since i just noticed where you tried a block tester, I know you have differentiated between head/intake gasket.

i can not mention the head gasket enough, mainly because

some people have grandpa saying "the book is wrong, you only need an intake gasket"
after replacing intake gasket, they discover white steam pouring out the exhaust has reduced but still exists
so then they test the head gasket, and discover they must go a 2nd run through the intake.
i learned
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chevyguy1523
yes
since i just noticed where you tried a block tester, I know you have differentiated between head/intake gasket.

i can not mention the head gasket enough, mainly because

some people have grandpa saying "the book is wrong, you only need an intake gasket"
after replacing intake gasket, they discover white steam pouring out the exhaust has reduced but still exists
so then they test the head gasket, and discover they must go a 2nd run through the intake.
i learned
i hear ya there, the thing that gets me the most is that it runs strong, idles good and i havent had any issues with the motor at all other than this, i get that steamy smoke once in a while, i notice it when i drive it doesnt smoke but once i let off the pedal it will start to smoke a little, im just wondering how much longer it will be able to stay running for. ive seen a very minute leak at the qd on the intake but not enough to explain why im losing like 1/2 gal of coolant a week or so. it doesnt overheat and still has power? i just figure that if im gonna rip the intake off might as well do the heads with it so i dont have to do the work twice, this has been bothering the heck out of me, especially bcuz the oil is regular color, not mily or caramel, the coolant is clean and doesnt look rusty one bit, ive let it run with rad cap off and it doesnt bubble up. if its burning off how long will it before before the motor gives up, never been iin this situation so i dont know.

Last edited by Pinkypinks; July 11th, 2012 at 12:19 PM.