Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

abs problem 99 chevy 4x4

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2009, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs problem 99 chevy 4x4

The other day an idiot with no brake lights stopped in front of me causing me to have to get on the brakes "very hard" to keep from hitting him.That is where the problems started. Before I got home the rear brake pads came apart ruining the rear rotors. So I replaced front and rear rotors and pads, after pumping up the brakes I took it down the road,when I came to a stop the rear brakes were smoking hot and not releasing properly. At the next stop sign the pedal went to the floor and I almost ran over a car because of it.I finally got home and parked it to let the brakes cool down.The next day I took it down the driveway and got on the brakes, the pedal goes almost to the floor,I have no front brakes and the rear tires will lock up and slide.I have always done all my own work but have no idea where to start as I dont know anything about abs but I'm guessing that is what the problem is. I havent checked the fuses yet but will do that tommorrow and there are no abs lights on.Any help on where to start looking is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old November 6th, 2009, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

See if you have any brake fluid leaking. It sounds like it could be leaking from the master cylinder.
Old November 6th, 2009, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

No I have already checked for leaks and have found none
Old November 6th, 2009, 9:08 PM
CF Junior Member

A common problem with the disc brakes is that there is rust build upp behind the stainless steel hardware in the caliper bracket. If you don't remove the hardware and remove that rust, the new pads will stick and cause that heating problem you experienced. here is a link to a thread I put on another forum outlining the procedure with photos.
http://jimscampingforums.com/forums/...p?topic=1682.0
The second part of your problem is likely due to (again) rust but this time on the ABS sensors in the front bearings. I've seen seversl instances where as you approach a stop the pedal will suddenly start pulsating and drop to the floor. The sensors can sometimes be removed and cleaned and the problem will be cured. The sensors are VERY delicate and can be ruined if you're not carefull. New sensors are almost as expensive as the entire wheel bearing sensor assembly.
Bob