Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advice on a sub and amp.

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2010, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a sub and amp.

I'm getting my taxes back so i finely have some money to play with! I want to add a ten inch sub under the back seat of my '89 K1500 Ext. cab, and an amp that till power 4 speakers and the sub. (5 Chanel).
Right now I have:

Kenwood KDC-X791 Head Unit
Eclipse SE 4600 4x6 2-way in the Dash
Eclipse SE 6500 6 1/2 3-way in the kick panel

I was thinking a JL Audio 10W1v2-4 in a sealed box For the sub

And for the amp I'm not sure, I have only had one other Audio setup and it was in a Subaru and it was a really Inexpensive set up from Best buy...

BUT, i was thinking maybe:

Infinity Kappa Five

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1....html?tp=35808
Or
Alpine PDX-5

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_5...ssi=0&tp=27743
Or
Kicker 08ZX700.5

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...08ZX700.5.html

Tell me what you think for the Sub and amps, Price isn't TOO much of a big deal but definitely should be considered. And with a 5 ch. amp Will i need 3 sets of RCA cables?

Thank you!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 6:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if money isnt an issue. i'd go with a rockford fosgate amp. how come you dont run two subs and bridge them at the amp?
Old April 2nd, 2010, 6:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh and im not too sure about running the speakers and sub on the same amp because you'll be putting out power to make the sub hit and turn around pop there goes your speakers because they were getting too much power. i'd either get an amp for speakers and an amp for the sub or just wire the speakers to the dash and just get an amp for the sub?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

don't go with a sealed box... there is no tuning with a sealed box.... its hard to get the proper air space need when u r trying to put a sub under the seat...I had 2 10's in a sealed box under my seat in a 91 ext cab silverado... now I have taken the back seat out and got a 2.5cu foot box in it place... I am way happier with that...

if u r wanting to amplify all the speakers u will need 3 runs of rca's and I would do 1 run of 0/1 awg power wire and 1 run 0/1 awg of ground from the battery. and i would beef up the charging system as well. its not hard to get 14.5v from a stock alt.

I am a bit of a car audio nut if there is anything that you would like to know plz PM me

Last edited by efxtruck; April 3rd, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by s34n
oh and im not too sure about running the speakers and sub on the same amp because you'll be putting out power to make the sub hit and turn around pop there goes your speakers because they were getting too much power. i'd either get an amp for speakers and an amp for the sub or just wire the speakers to the dash and just get an amp for the sub?
if he goes with a 5 channel amp it has separate gain controls for each set of speakers.. and if u use a analog multimeter and white noise to set it up u can balance all the speakers even the sound out perfect