Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

aftermarket radio= BIG PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2010, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry aftermarket radio= BIG PROBLEM

i went out and got a nice pioneer radio for my 2000 z71 today, i got the dashboard install kit, and the radio plug that i wired up to the new radio, but there was a plug that went into the old radio that did not go into my new radio with the plug i bought-no big deal right, the radio works great and sounds awesome, but later found that the blinkers are now not working, i dont get it. what was that second plug in the original radio, and is there anything i can do to get my blinkers back, im lost without them..
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi ajhgoodwrench3,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Perhaps your vehicle simply blew a fuse for the blinkers, coincidentally, at the same time as your radio install?

I had a problem installing my new Clarion in my '04 Silverado.I did the simple function of hooking up an audio system, and nothing worked, after a complete re-wire. Against all my better instincts, I took it to a local professional Car Audio installer. He already knew what I didn't, that after '02 GM stopped installing an accessory station on the ignition switch. They installed a data port adapter, and 45 minutes later,I drove away listening.

Very possibly you may have a somewhat similar electrical situation with your blinkers.

This may be one of the times you have to bite the bullet and let a shop handle it.
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM
CF Active Member

I had the same issue when I installed my deck in the 04 silverado. After I installed it it didn't work. I went down to the local audio shop and talked to them and they sold me the proper harness, came back home and installed it, worked like a champ.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

thanks guys i will try to find the right harness and see where that gets me
Old March 1st, 2010, 9:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Also keep an eye on your flashers too. I bought my 98 silverado from a guy who already had a new radio installed and my flashers don't flash now if I apply the brakes. Also my truck doesn't make a dinging noise if I leave the keys in the ignition or leave my lights on. I just assumed that some wires just got mixed up when the radio was installed, but I locked my keys in my truck twice now because of it...
Old March 5th, 2010, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Cool Stereo

I've seen all kinds of probs like this. A lot of times you don't have the correct ground wire. I've seen a lot of people re-wiring and checking for the ground and use the 1st 1 they see. If you check the rest 1 of them will have a full ground with no impedence. The others will go to ground also but (if using a meter) you'll notice some impedence before it goes to a full ground. The last 1 I did for a guy , his stereo worked but went off when he turned on his lights. I've also seen blinker probs. Hope it helps, might save some bucks!
Jorg
Old March 6th, 2010, 2:03 AM
CF Beginner

Hey bsballfn172, about your 98, if by flashers you mean the hazard lights, theres nothing wrong with them. Theyre not supposed to blink when you have your foot on the brakes, my 96 and every other truck like ours is like that. And about the dinging, the guy probably just pulled out the chime box. If you look under the dash on the drivers side as far to the left as you can get before your on the side of the truck, theres a fuse panel there with relays on it. Thats where the chime box plugs in, its a plastic box about 3 inches wide, 3 inches long, and an inch thick. If you dont see it, thats why
Old January 8th, 2015, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default installed new radio in a 2000 silverado 1500 and panel lights blew out

If anyone else has this problem,my hubby went to GM and got a new headlight switch. The switch that has the dome switch,the overide button and headlights.Works great now.. The cost $78 dollars...
Old January 8th, 2015, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Are radios plug and play these days? I've seen my cousin doing radio installs and was cutting wires about 10 years ago. Have they changed?

I found a double din radio from BOSS for my 00' Silverado but dont want to be cutting any wires.