Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another Silverado Problem

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2010, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see what your saying. I am going to change them out as soon as I can come up with the money. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm kinda impressed how quick I got a response.
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, since my last post I replaced both up-stream o2's and had my computer cleared. So far I seem to be getting better fuel economy. Not sure on numbers yet but I will know soon. Also since my last post my sending unit has started acting up and my alternator is dying. So these will be getting replaced soon. I have been carrying low fuel pressure for 6 months and knew it was only a matter of time till I would need to replace this. So with this being said, can my low fuel pressure cause my economy to be ****ty?

Also my overdrive lockout solenoid is not working properly, I contacted the guy that rebuilt my tranny and he should have the part to fix it this week. I know that will cause ****ty economy on the highway, not sure about city tho..

No lastly, I was told I can get a bully dog programmer and maybe program my ecm for the tires I am running so it will correct fuel trip to compensate the larger tires, anyone know if this is accurate?

I will keep this updated as I go. I am looking for 14 city and 18-20 highway, If i don't get pissed and sell the truck first haha
Old December 27th, 2010, 5:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes low fuel pressure can mess up the economy, and belive it or not so can low voltage, it sends it into limp mode wen u have low amperage
also the shift solenoid will mess up milage too
and bully dog can compensate for bigger tires with the right unit, so make sure u get the right one
Old December 28th, 2010, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Once again I am forced to spend money on my silverado. I replaced the alternator today and my voltage gauge still bounces with the turn signal on. So I think I may have fixed the dying upon start.

On another not, I found that my sending unit should be working fine. When the gauge moves for the fuel it is not the sending unit it is actually the gauge causing the issue and since the voltage is doing the same thing I asked my buddy and he said it sounded like the cluster was bad. He said these truck are known for bad clusters. So now I'm on the hunt for a new cluster.

I will update again as soon as I get my cluster and install it.
Old January 21st, 2011, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

I never bought my gauge cluster. Instead I decided to fix things that really needed fixed. I figured out why my mileage was off so much. Having bigger than stock tires not only throws off the speedometer but also throws off the odometer. So I was not getting the miles on my odometer that I should have been getting. My solution was to buy a hypertech programmer to program my tire size. I also found that the programmer has a 87 octane setting for improved fuel economy. I went in and changed my shift points 2mph sooner on each shift. This will allow for less rps and less fuel usage.

I do not know if this has fixed my fuel mileage yet but I do know a few things that have been fixed. My speedometer is working properly, my odometer is working properly and my lock out solenoid for my overdrive is also working properly now. I filled the truck up so don't know if the mileage is any better yet but as soon as I know I will post my numbers.