Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Automatic Headlamp System

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2006, 11:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Automatic Headlamp System

Try pressing it anytime while the engine is running, if you do it at night the headlamps can be turned off. This has worked on my 01, and my 2000 S-10 & 2000 Sonoma.
Old September 13th, 2006, 1:42 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: SILVERAD01

Try pressing it anytime while the engine is running, if you do it at night the headlamps can be turned off. This has worked on my 01, and my 2000 S-10 & 2000 Sonoma.
Ya, i tried it at all possible cominations and it didnt work. While in drive and park. With the light switch on and off, with fog lights on and off, but nothing. I guess there is nothing that u can do on the '99s which really sucks.
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

here is the answer...well this is prolly the easiest way to do it. that i knowof.i have a 2000 gmc sierra and had the same issue. only the 99-00 hadthisproblem.this mod will eleminate the *auto* part of your headlights. the only thing you need to buy for this is a LED. you can go to radio shack or most any electronic store and pick one up.find one that is the least brightest.i used a 3mm LED for this that i acually removed from the heated seat button since i changed them to blue.first remove the plastic dash cover, then remove your radio so you can reach into the dash and remove the photoresistor/sensor (locatedin the center by the window defrost vents) you need to twist the sensor, i believe, clockwise. it will go down into the dash.remove the wiring connector from the sensorand push thewires back up through the hole in the dash (so its easier to work with) set your sensor aside for now.now, use the leads from the LED and push into the slots on the connector the led should light up. if it doesnt switchthe LEDaround. now test your lights and make sure they dont turn on when you turn the ignition on. you can put some electricaltape around theLED to hide the light from shing through the dash anywhere since it will neverturn off.(dont worrie about it running your battery down, thisone LED usesthe tinyest amount of power) if sucessful, you can now push that wire back down into your dash and put your sensor back into the hole(hardest part) to keep the factory look. reinstall your radio and dash and your done. the reason you have to use an LED for this is because the wires going the the photoresistor has to have some ammountresistance. it will not work if you leave the connection open, or if you tie the two wires together. an LED has enough resistance to trick the computer to not turn on your headlights. now you must use your headlight switch to turn on and off your headlights. it is definatly easier for someone with small hand to help with the sensor removal and install. Hope this helps everyone and im glad to share this information.
this is my first post so let me know if it was ok.
Old January 21st, 2007, 2:23 AM
CF Beginner

Hey guys my dad has a 99 Silverado 2500, and im trying to figure out how to turn off the AHL, on my 98 bravada i used a 600 ohm resistor in the plug going to the sensor. I have read that the 99 and up models take a 2.2 ohm resistor, but I have only read that for the s series trucks, just wondering if anyone knew if this would work for the full size trucks or not..

Thanks,
Donald