Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best Silverado 2500 motor

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:52 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best Silverado 2500 motor

My wife just purchased a 2011 Duramax diesel Silverado LTZ 4x4. It is beautiful, but at 11 miles/gal intown economy with AC always on, I fear that she will get tired of this beautiful tank. I am looking for a 2500 4x4 but in gas model only. I have an older TB-FI 350 powered 95 Silverado 5 speed manual that is reliable and runs great and looks great, but fear that wife will want me to sell it, since she HAS THE TANK. I am planing ahead! What is a good performing vortec v8 option for a 2500 4x4. I realize that very few gas models will compete with the duramax. I am not looking to replace duramax. I am not familiar with Chevy v8s other than 350s. I suspect that automatic transmissions are ONLY available too. Manuals are so much cheaper to repair. Been there! If I can find 2500 4x4 that will occasionaly pull a 10,000 load and get great truck economy during other driving, I'd like to hear from you. Please respond.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the only gas offered in a 2500 is the 6.0L and for a small block they run pretty good.

11 mpg - are you sure there's not something wrong with it??

I understand that the 6-speed auto trans are pretty durable - I personally will never own another truck with a manual trans - probably never buy a car with one either but then I doubt that I will ever buy another car.

We have a 1-ton with the 8.1L and towing a 21,000 lb snocat it gets 4.5 mpg.

I don't do much "in town" driving and I average 15 over all and I'm a little heavier on the pedal than the average person.

A while back I read in Consumer Report that they rated the 2011 Duramax one of the ten worst vehicles (trucks) to buy and I have no idea why - it was just on the list. Maybe the horrific fuel consumption had something to do with it.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 8:34 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Pugly
I think the only gas offered in a 2500 is the 6.0L and for a small block they run pretty good.

11 mpg - are you sure there's not something wrong with it??

I understand that the 6-speed auto trans are pretty durable - I personally will never own another truck with a manual trans - probably never buy a car with one either but then I doubt that I will ever buy another car.

We have a 1-ton with the 8.1L and towing a 21,000 lb snocat it gets 4.5 mpg.

I don't do much "in town" driving and I average 15 over all and I'm a little heavier on the pedal than the average person.

A while back I read in Consumer Report that they rated the 2011 Duramax one of the ten worst vehicles (trucks) to buy and I have no idea why - it was just on the list. Maybe the horrific fuel consumption had something to do with it.
Pugley, thx for replying. Having dumped 2 grand into a 2004 Impala's auto transmission, makes me think twice about a much more potentially expensive auto in a truck, but I get your point. I am a do-it-yourselfer, when ever possible. I can replace a complete clutch pack with new, not rebuilt crap, on a Chevy truck for less than 300 bucks. Of course, I'd have to sweat my fat butt off doing the work myself.

I don't doubt 2011 Duramax may have experienced problems. That is why we purchansed extended warrenty. But, FORDS, except current year, have way to many black clouds over them. I know a guy who has a fleet of them and is totally disgusted. Dodge Cummings was my second choice, but we could not afford 65 grand on a new one. And, this 2011 Duramax was HER choice.

Have any idea of typical consumption for 6.0 Vortec in 2500 4x4?
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 02 2500hd with the 6.0 and with all my aftermarket upgrades im averaging 14mpg, and i see 15 from time to time. thats on 33s exhaust, bbtune, eletric fan conversion, and intake. the newer model 2500hds come with a 6.2 vortec and i cant comment on their mileage but before i did my upgrades, i averaged 12mpg.

i have a friend who owns a dmax and averages 22mpg. not sure all what he has into it but i know he has a tuner, exhaust, and intake. might be cheaper to see what you can do to inprove the dmax mileage
Old July 3rd, 2014, 7:39 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by BigRed922
i have a 02 2500hd with the 6.0 and with all my aftermarket upgrades im averaging 14mpg, and i see 15 from time to time. thats on 33s exhaust, bbtune, eletric fan conversion, and intake. the newer model 2500hds come with a 6.2 vortec and i cant comment on their mileage but before i did my upgrades, i averaged 12mpg.

i have a friend who owns a dmax and averages 22mpg. not sure all what he has into it but i know he has a tuner, exhaust, and intake. might be cheaper to see what you can do to inprove the dmax mileage

I am sure that her Duramax's 4x4 option increases consumption, but most of her driving will definately be in town and the AC WILL always be ON. Unfortunately, due to warranty, we can't modify anything. Supposedly, having the UERA system allowed GM to tweek the DURAMAX's performance, but economy doesn't seem to increases (in my opinion).