Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bouncy Ride in Silverado

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2007, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouncy Ride in Silverado

I have a 2006 Silverado Crew Cab 2WD and I have a problem with the bouncy ride that it has since day one. Sorry if this has been talked about elsewhere in the forum, and if so please direct me to it.

I have the stock General AmeriTrak tires on them 245/70 17 and and stock shocks and when I drive down the highway where there are concrete slab sections, my truck bounces so much it's like I'm driving my old Dodge straight axel. The faster I go the more it bounces. This happens at speeds over 45mph.

I know it's a truck and trucks have rough rides, but I have driven Fords and Dodges for the past 20 years and this is my first Chevy that I have owned (and first new truck as well). I was under the impression that the Chevy has the most smooth ride out of the three domestics (I've ridden in various previousChevy's)and this is one reason why I bought it.

I have read that the General tires are very bouncy like they are ballons because of week sidewalls. Also have read that buying new shocks like Bilstiens will help a lot. Does anybody have an advice or solutions to this problem? Has anybody else had this problem.

Other than that, the truck is great. Wished I waited one more year though. But it's still a nice truck.
Old October 11th, 2007, 3:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Bouncy Ride in Silverado

I replaced tires and shocks on my 06 and it made a big difference in the ride. I put Monroe reflex shocks and bridgestone tires. I should have done it when it was brand new. The ride is very smooth.
Old October 11th, 2007, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info slvr.
I was reading else where on this forum, haven't asked there yet, but I was wanting to get 20 inch Chevy wheels for my truck and the other forum was saying they had to recalibrate their computer on their o7's. Do you have to do that on an o6 when adding the bigger 20 inch wheels?
Old October 12th, 2007, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2006 CREW CAB 4WD with the same problem. GM has a bulletin on it.
they refer to it as beam shake. the only way to get rid of the shake is to add between 200-500lbs to the box of the truck. I have done everything including BBB arbitration and GM maintains that it is not a safety issue so they won't do anything. They say that they will correct it if the engineers come up with a fix. My take on the whole thing is that the frame is lighter than my 1989 Silverado which doesn't shake. Because the frame is lighter it flexes and causes the shake.
As for adding weight to the box, it does get rid of the shake. It's not your suspension or your tires.

Old October 13th, 2007, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

i have the same proublen....07 ext cab 4w/d....truck is junk....tundra is my nx one