Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake issues!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2006, 12:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake issues!!!!!

Recently I replaced the rear brakes on my 97 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton (shoes not disc). My passenger side wheel cylinder was bad so I replaced it. The one on the driver side was fine. I bled the lines to what I thought was sufficent enough (not the front) and I still have a very soft pedal. Could there be a problem somewhere else in the system, master cylinder, brake booster? I don't see any leaking nor does my level go down. Anyone that could shed some light on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Ryan
Old August 9th, 2006, 3:11 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brake issues!!!!!

Did you bleed both rear sides or just the one that you replaced the wheel cylinder on? The rear is linked together and just splits at the rearend so some air may have gotten into the other line if you didn't bleed them both.
Old August 12th, 2006, 4:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brake issues!!!!!

All my chevys I have owned have had some sponginess in the pedal. I currently own a 2000 silverado and changed out the brake lines to braided steel. I kept my stock calipers but changed out the fronts to power slot rotors with hawk brake pads and it made noticable diffferance in pedal firmness. I know you have drums in the rear but maybe a similar set up will help you out. Good luck...