Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BRAKE LINE HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2007, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAKE LINE HELP!!!!!!!

Have a 99' new body silverado 4x4 1500 5.3 w/ air

Wife got home tonight and as she pulled in I heard a "woosh" sound and she said she had funny brakes...Well, I had her turn the wheel and I stuck my head in on the passenger side and I saw fluid blowing out from under the radiator. So, I assume the crossover steel tube has a hole.

What is you experience in replacing this? Do I buy a straight piece and bend like stock...or is there a cheap outlet for a prebent one?

Any help please!!

Thanks
Jason
Old February 21st, 2007, 2:48 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: BRAKE LINE HELP!!!!!!!

Don't assume that is the problem. You have a leak that is easily noticable so get under it and make sure that is where it is coming from first. You can go to the dealership and get a prebent tube. The only problem with that is it will cost you and they may not have it their. Using a straight piece and bend it and it will work fine as long as it is a brake line. If you get one without the ends take your time and make sure you flare it correctly so it dosen't leak. If you get one with the ends already on just take your time and be careful bending it so you don't kink it. If you haven't had it very long I would see if you can argue the dealer into changing it cause that is a safety thing.
Good Luck
Old February 25th, 2007, 1:47 AM
CF Beginner

If it is the brake line, which is a good possibility... make sure if it is not already flared, that you double flare it... a single flare will not seal it completely and will continue to leak... try not to bend the brake line to many times molding it into possition, you will weaken the material!... good luck
Old February 25th, 2007, 4:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can cut and splice a new piece in double flaring it. (You need special tools). Or you can buy a prebent one like mentioned. Easisest is to buy the prebent one but it is cheaper to make your own. It just depends on your skill level and your comfort of how it is. Also make sure you bleed your brakes when you're done.