Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bridgestone H/T tires on Silverado Z71

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone H/T tires on Silverado Z71

Just bought an 05 silverado and the previous owner put H/T instead of A/T tires on it.

I'm not gonna be out mudding. A couple of weeks of deer hunting and Iowa winters will be my main off-road. Hunting use will mainly just be cross corn/bean field to pick up deer/hunters.

Any experience these tires and mild off-road use? There is between 12-13/32nds on them so having a hard time swapping them for A/T tire.

Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2009, 5:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got Bridgestone V-Steel E-rated LT245/75R-16s on my 2500HD 4X4. I liked the last set so much I got exactly the same tires it came with new. They're a highway tread, and although I've never gotten stuck, I don't go offroad that much, either.

I was pleased as a puppy with two peters when I got 65K out of that first set. E-radials are a little pricey, but what a solid feel on the road!

I guess it really depends upon how often you leave the road, and how soupy it is out there in the rough where you go.
Old May 20th, 2009, 7:24 AM
CF Active Member

I don't really intend to go through anything real soupy. In looking at the tread on the original A/T that is now a spare it doesn't really look all that different from the H/T. The outside edge is a little more aggressive, but otherwise not much difference.

Last edited by tsduke; May 20th, 2009 at 7:26 AM.
Old May 20th, 2009, 8:50 AM
CF Active Member

I'd have to recommend my tires if you're looking for a good A/T. Check out Nitto Terragrapplers. They're smooth on the road/highway, and have some nasty pulling power in the mud. I actually know this from experience; I was turning around on a back road, and didn't see a ditch in front of me, so I continued forward. I ended up in a field of nothing but soupy, nasty MUD. Needless to say, my 5500lb truck sank straight to the bottom and wouldn't move for anything. So I dropped it into 4-lo and gear 1, gave it a little gas (maybe up to 2000RPM) and turned my steering wheel side to side. Thanks to my new-at-the-time Terragrapplers, I successfully pulled my own truck out while dragging the frame.

Though that situation sounds a bit more sticky than what you plan on doing, I have to say, my tires saved my *** that time around. It was around midnight, and it had been raining for the previous 3 days constantly.

Before my Terragrapplers, I had some garbage All Season tires. Just to reiterate, they were garbage.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Off road tires are going to cost ya at the pump. It's almost like leasing tires. You make a large down payment when you buy them, then every time you pull up to the pump, you pay a bunch more.

It's mind over matter.(If you don't mind, it don't matter.) I know a guy who doesn't mind the ride quality, noise, or MPG, he just loves the looks of those big ATs. And, he NEVER goes off the road.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:31 PM
CF Active Member

you want mpg's, get a prius, you want to be a man, drive a truck with real tires. i had the factory bridegstones on and just put on 295's terra grapplers. the bridgestones dont last that long either, everyone ive ever known who had some only got -30-35K out of them. if you want a non-at type tire, go with michelin.

dont care about the .5mpg loss that will happen between the 2 tires.
Old May 20th, 2009, 6:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nittos are pretty good i had them for a little while before i got rid of them i have heard of people getting 45-50K plus out of them. I have also heard good things abour the cooper zeon ltz