Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cam bearings

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2006, 12:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam bearings

hey i'm putting together an engine for my 89 1500 and i've never messed with cam bearings but these need to be replaced definately. i got all the plugs out and i used a blunt punch to get the old ones out im pretty sure i can find a way to get the rest of them out but i was wondering if there is an easier way....also how would you install the new ones!oh yes and one more question. does GM label their rods and rod caps and pistons because im having real hard time finding numbers on them

thanks everyone u guys are extremely helpful!!!
roman
Old December 17th, 2006, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: cam bearings

You must use a cam bearing install tool otherwise you will have big problems..take the block to a machine shop and have it done. If you want to learn how ask to watch how it's done. Itusually only cost $20-$30.

seriously don't try this... incorrectl;y installed cam bearings can screw up the oil flow to the cam and the rest of the motor and can kill a motor...spend the fee $

rods and caps may not always be numbered, howevr it is absoulutly important to keep the rod and the cap together as a pair.. you can us a center punch to put dots on the rods and cap or invest in a number stamp set.. either way mark the pair somehow..
Greg
Old December 18th, 2006, 3:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: cam bearings

alrighty then..since i have to get some new pistons put on rods anyways, i might as well havethe machine shopput cam bearings in as well. thanks!