Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Changing Piston rings?

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2009, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Piston rings?

I have a 98 silverado 5.7 liter vortec thats eating oil and i think i need to change the rings so is there a way to do it without taking the engine completey out of the truck? Any help will be apreciated, Thanks!!!
Old April 28th, 2009, 4:41 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, sounds like you got alot of work ahead of you. Does it smoke? If it is the rings, I think its best to take it out since its delicate work. If you have to go that far , Id do a complete rebuild.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; April 28th, 2009 at 4:46 PM.
Old April 28th, 2009, 5:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you just cant assume its your rings do a compression test this will tell you what it is!! your sure it doesent leak? does it smoke? if you are going to redo rings you need to do whole engine and i would reccomend taking it out of the truck
Old April 28th, 2009, 6:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be valve seals. To do the pistons you must remove the heads so send them to a machine shop. This is very delicate work to do the ring would be best to do a complete rebuild. If you have never done this type of thing then it would be best to let someone who has do it. You could wind up worse off then you are now
Old April 28th, 2009, 8:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

done it 3 times already, very successfully
1. drop oil pan
2. remove heads.
3. pull pistons out through oil pan opening.

things to look for:
1. all pistons and pushrods MUST be reinstalled exactly same way you had them originally. i used large clean cloth (he-he, where you find one in redneck garage?) and had them situated exactly the way they came out of engine.
2. never ever rotate engine "against the hair" or you'll bust main seals.
3. before you reinstall everything back, make sure to wick coolant out of every single bolt hole, or it can expend on hot and bust the block.
4. have ALL parts on hand BEFORE you start the job. nothing's better to gut the truck just to find that some rubber seal must be special ordered and will take a week to come in.

now, down the mussulman way of doing this. you will have to rent ring compressing tool and honing tool. it's just a wand of sanding ***** on a wire brush, you can use any drill to operate it.

replace not just rings, but, pushrod bearings either.

while you have heads off, rent valve spring compression tool and replace valve stem seals. THOSE are a known culprit for blow by oil consumption.

same time, make sure your valves are in tip-top shape. slightest concern - replace the sucker, they are not expensive.

good metal soft brush and a lot of kerosene will clean the combustion chambers perfect, along with ton of elbow grease, of course. buddy with sandbluster comes handy.

hey, while you in, you could notch the combustion chambers, said to give some decent mileage improvement. also, you could index your spark plugs, won't hurt.

you could give head to machine shop to plain it. well, last 2 jobs i did not, and nothing happened. long straight file works miracles as a plainer, btw. takes some handskill....

ok, also, you could either sandblust or, if you find tool small enough, hone and polish intake manifolds.

every time i used standard size pushrod bearings and rings.

my cost was about $500 every time, that's with all the gaskets that must be replaced, rings, bearings, seals. about 2 day job on a sunny day. lots of dirt, spillage, and manual labor. then again, you, basically, have new engine. tub for kerosene is a must. electricians have some really good cleaner they use on transformers, man, that stuff cleans crazy, and has no bad odor and is said to be nature friendly.

have fun. RUSH IS COMPLETELY COUNTERINDICATED with this job.
The following users liked this post:
Dirty_Chevy_Dude (November 26th, 2023)