Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Cleaning Exhaust Filter Message Won't Stop

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2014, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Exhaust Filter Message Won't Stop

A week ago my 2011 Duramax showed the Cleaning Exhaust Filter message. I drove it until the message cleared, but the engine warning light would not turn off. Took it to my local dealer and was told they had to clear the warning light. Drove it for a few days with no problems. Now the light and message are back. I drive it and in 10 to 15 min. the message clears, but the EWL stays. It goes back through the process every time I start the truck, the message re-appears, stays for 10 -15 min and goes away. Start it again and the process repeats.

Any ideas on what is wrong?
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:49 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello!

I am sorry to hear this issue has reoccurred. I understand how frustrating that can be. If you would like us to reach out to your dealership on your behalf, we would be happy to do so! You are welcome to send us a private message at any time.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by john.orbaugh
A week ago my 2011 Duramax showed the Cleaning Exhaust Filter message. I drove it until the message cleared, but the engine warning light would not turn off. Took it to my local dealer and was told they had to clear the warning light. Drove it for a few days with no problems. Now the light and message are back. I drive it and in 10 to 15 min. the message clears, but the EWL stays. It goes back through the process every time I start the truck, the message re-appears, stays for 10 -15 min and goes away. Start it again and the process repeats.

Any ideas on what is wrong?
Old July 1st, 2014, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Drove to Rapid City and went by Rapid Chevrolet. The checked the system and the service report says, "Low efficiency due to particulater filter 69 grams soot. Did regeneration on filter cleared codes".

Not sure why the normal regen process didn't clean the filter, but hopefully this has cures it!
Old July 21st, 2019, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default How do you regen when towing?

Dear Chevy, I was towing a 12,000 lb 5th wheel with my 2016 Duramax 3500 on the interstate heading into a long construction zone, and the Cleaning Diesel Filter message came on and immediately depowered my truck. I had no exit options and could not maintain speed as the truck was requesting. The regen process couldn’t be completed and the code got locked in and I’m 90 miles from any dealership, that were all closed for the rest of the weekend. How do you ‘safely’ complete the regen process when towing? Are you expecting me to pull over on the freeway and unhitch what I am towing so I can complete your maintenance? Why is there no warning message that gives a chance to manage the process before we’re in a situation where we cannot. I bought this truck to tow! Who do I send the dealer bill to for your faulty maintenance strategy. Thank you Chevy for putting my family and me in a dangerous situation.

Last edited by Pschleet; July 21st, 2019 at 3:28 PM.