Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:36 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Crew Cab Left Rear Door Ajar Message

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2009, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crew Cab Left Rear Door Ajar Message

I have a 2003 2500HD crew cab and the left rear door ajar light was coming on every so often and now I can't get it to go away. I know the switch is in the latch assembly could that be bad or could it be something else. Is there any adjustments to the door or latch assembly to fix this?
Thanks for any help given.
Old February 14th, 2009, 2:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It almost goes without saying Factory original parts are so cheap. The switch is "normally open" in design, and it doesn't seem to be functioning properly anymore when the door is shut-which puts it in the "closed" position.

If you remove the switch from the truck, on an ohmmeter- in the open position it should register infinite resistance, in the closed position it should register close to zero ohms.

I've noticed with my 04 crewcab that seatbelts tend to hang in the doorways, front and back. Be sure you have no trim, seatcushions, coat-tails, seatbelts,etc. in the way of the door shutting properly. I've also noticed that if you aren't paying close attention, the rear doors tend to just half-shut-all the new switches in the world won't help you close the door thoroughly.

If you need to replace the switch, try to find one made by Standard or another quality brand name at you local parts store. The dealer will just sell you another piece of shirt like you already pulled out.-Best of luck
Old January 14th, 2022, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a really old post, but some of the best info I've found! How about pulling the connector that reports whether the switch is open or closed and proving the switch is bad before buying a switch or door latch assembly? I looped my leads back toward the BMC, whether they're open or shorted the DIC still reports the door ajar. I write this in an attempt to save the next guy some money on parts. Tomorrow I hunt for the BMC location, I don't have a clue where that is :-)
The following users liked this post:
Brad Hartsoe (October 25th, 2022)