Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Disappointing is a scratch on the surface

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2023, 2:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

what i see are people following the oil life monitor and disregarding severe service. all things equal for maintenance...for longevity non afm will outlast afm engines all day. all this cost for 4% mpg
Old June 29th, 2023, 3:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 673 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
It just frustrates me that people want to blame manufacturers ...
I know what you mean. There is a lot of ignorance out there. No doubt about that. You being a mechanic, I can only imagine how often you must just shake your head.

I've met the "gas & go" type people. I watch "just rolled in" and "mechanical nightmares", so I see the horrors of what people are capable of doing to their vehicles.

But it really seems like there's an issue with these engines. And it's not a shocker. It's a new technology. It creates all kinds of imbalances. Other manufacturers have had their headaches with cylinder deactivation too.
You have a whole range of types of owners, right. Neglecters at one end, OCD weekend oil changers at the other. But most people fall in the middle. Engines needs to be able to tolerate a little but of abuse. They should be designed with a bit of margin for imperfect conditions. They can't just fall apart catastrophically. And even if you take care of them, the design just isn't good and that doesn't lead to good durability and reliability. Sometimes manufacturers just cut it too close or make things too complicated.

I've owned GM cars all my life. I'm on my 4th or 5th. I like them .. they suited my needs and look decent. I'm used to them and they're easy to work on for me. But what I see is a decline in quality and reliability. So I can understand the frustration from the other side as well. GM certainly isn't alone in this, and they're not the worst, but in some ways they sure are at the front of the pack.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; June 29th, 2023 at 5:42 PM.
Old June 29th, 2023, 3:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tech2
what i see are people following the oil life monitor and disregarding severe service.
I thought that the monitor is supposed to factor in driving conditions that require shorter intervals? (temps, idling, speed, engine load, etc.)
Also, hasn't this system evolved over time? Maybe the early ones were junk, but by now they are reliable.
The monitor on my 2013 seems to be pretty good, usually reminding me right around 200 engine hrs run time or 5,000 miles. Oil is never sludgy or smelly.

all this cost for 4% mpg
exactly. To me it seems like a kludgy hack to keep the regulators happy. i would rather spend a tiny bit more on fuel to keep the vehicle going longer.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; June 29th, 2023 at 5:41 PM.
Old June 30th, 2023, 2:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

well, the next gen of fleet fuel savings/ie corporate tax saving are coming soon....no more v8s....6cylinder turbos. will see if smaller displacement boosted engines fair better than normally aspirated....what you putting yr money on?
Old June 30th, 2023, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I know what you mean. There is a lot of ignorance out there. No doubt about that. You being a mechanic, I can only imagine how often you must just shake your head.

I've met the "gas & go" type people. I watch "just rolled in" and "mechanical nightmares", so I see the horrors of what people are capable of doing to their vehicles.

But it really seems like there's an issue with these engines. And it's not a shocker. It's a new technology. It creates all kinds of imbalances. Other manufacturers have had their headaches with cylinder deactivation too.
You have a whole range of types of owners, right. Neglecters at one end, OCD weekend oil changers at the other. But most people fall in the middle. Engines needs to be able to tolerate a little but of abuse. They should be designed with a bit of margin for imperfect conditions. They can't just fall apart catastrophically. And even if you take care of them, the design just isn't good and that doesn't lead to good durability and reliability. Sometimes manufacturers just cut it too close or make things too complicated.

I've owned GM cars all my life. I'm on my 4th or 5th. I like them .. they suited my needs and look decent. I'm used to them and they're easy to work on for me. But what I see is a decline in quality and reliability. So I can understand the frustration from the other side as well. GM certainly isn't alone in this, and they're not the worst, but in some ways they sure are at the front of the pack.
It was easy to get flabbergasted by customer choices and shake my head at first - now I’m just numb to it. I’ve learned customers get very nervous when their mechanics face is overcome with the “You dumbass” look and my eyes glaze over because I have to process the level of dumb that just entered my brain.

Sometimes I get it - money is tight and a choice between one repair or several has to be made because they just can’t afford it. My father fixed EVERYTHING when I was growing up because we didn’t have a lot of money. That, I understand.

And sometimes it’s just like “Are you f***ing with me right now?”

A few years ago I had one customer that asked for a complete, bumper to bumper inspection on a 2000 Audi. As a rust belt car it wasn’t in the best condition. I can’t remember everything I found but I do remember recommending steering and suspension work, brakes and tires; of which, the tires were probably the most important thing it needed because they were nearly bald and dry rotting. The customer’s response was “Do everything but the tires. My daughter is taking it to school (1500 miles away) in the fall and I want it to be safe.” It was all I could do not to let my jaw hit the floor.

And you said it all - it’s a new technology, relatively speaking - and oftentimes this is just the “growing pains” that result. Chrysler also has issues with their cylinder shut off systems, only their lifters tend to lock up and grind down the camshaft lobes.

I thought that the monitor is supposed to factor in driving conditions that require shorter intervals? (temps, idling, speed, engine load, etc.)
Also, hasn't this system evolved over time? Maybe the early ones were junk, but by now they are reliable.
The monitor on my 2013 seems to be pretty good, usually reminding me right around 200 engine hrs run time or 5,000 miles. Oil is never sludgy or smelly.

exactly. To me it seems like a kludgy hack to keep the regulators happy. i would rather spend a tiny bit more on fuel to keep the vehicle going longer.
The oil life monitor, according to GM, uses 3 “pathways” to determine oil life. They say it’s been the same since 2010 when the system was introduced. Search for GM document PIP5282A for more complete information.

Path 1) A fixed number of engine revolutions with adjustments made depending on oil temperature.

Path 2) A maximum mileage of 7,500 under ideal operating conditions.

Path 3) A max time span of 1 year from the last reset.

well, the next gen of fleet fuel savings/ie corporate tax saving are coming soon....no more v8s....6cylinder turbos. will see if smaller displacement boosted engines fair better than normally aspirated....what you putting yr money on?
Oil leaks from every single sealing point imaginable.

I’ve serviced several Cruze turbo engines as well as Ford eco boost engines (from a component and assembly aspect, they’re identical) and neither one seems to hold oil past 30,000 - the valve cover gaskets especially.

Here’s how one of my instructors put it when we were discussing turbo vs cylinder shut off in class and how it will affect longevity (this is as best I can recall) -

{The cylinder shut off takes a big engine (V8) and makes it “think” it’s little by disabling cylinders.

The turbo takes a little engine (4 or 6 cylinder) and makes it “think” it’s big by forcing more air into the combustion chamber.

Which do you think will last longer? A big engine that thinks it’s little or a little engine that thinks it’s big?}

His point was that the turbo engines are going to be overworked, and I think he was right. There’s more blow by and crankcase pressure to be managed with turbos, so the oil needs to be changed much more frequently.
Old June 30th, 2023, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

what you putting yr money on?
that's a rhetorical question right?
The following users liked this post:
tech2 (June 30th, 2023)
Old June 30th, 2023, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gumby22
The oil life monitor, according to GM, uses 3 “pathways” to determine oil life...
Thanks! I've always wondered about that.

I'm guessing that each different engine has it's own quantity of revolutions that it counts down. I wonder how many it takes for my 5.3

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; June 30th, 2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old August 6th, 2023, 5:09 PM
Super Moderator

hot on its coattails is another lawsuit in courts now (Harrison vs GM)
"This suit alleges the valvetrain used in the AFM system is defective"
It affects trucks, SUVs , and cars from 2014 to 2021
( L82, L83, L84 L96 L86 L87 )
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

Well, maybe the lawsuit will keep growing to include the current engines too.
Sure enough, if you thought these lawsuits were frivolous, here is at least a little proof

2023 - 5th generation L87 Ecotec3 engine. (direct injected, cylinder deactivation)
https://www.bitchute.com/video/KNl8P9sxdSZq/

@Gumby22
These engine are barely broken in, so you can't wave your hand and tell me it's from bad maintenance.

Seem GM just can't get it right. These Ecotec3 engines were plagued right from the beginning.

... stuck lifters and bent pushrods really hurt the reliability score of the 6.2L L86 motor (more information in the 5.3L EcoTec3 engine review). And this is doubly painful because this problem usually occurs on low-mileage, almost new trucks.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; August 6th, 2023 at 5:13 PM.
Old August 7th, 2023, 7:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

@Gumby22
These engine are barely broken in, so you can't wave your hand and tell me it's from bad maintenance.

YOU WILL LIVE MANY DAYS, BUT THIS ONE, I ASSURE YOU, YOU WILL RUE!!!
Old August 7th, 2023, 8:57 PM
Super Moderator

haha
"These aren't the stuck lifters you're looking for "

The following users liked this post:
tech2 (August 11th, 2023)

Quick Reply: Disappointing is a scratch on the surface