Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

is it the distributer?

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it the distributer?

This is for my 1990 silverado 305(5.0L)

Well i have been having issues with right turns before with my truck, one day while swapping ignition parts with a friend to determin an issue with his truck, i found my rotor was slightly burnt and worn out, so i replaced it.

Anyhow, eventually the right turn issues got worse until the point of I could barely drive in a straight line without the truck burping and farting or stalling. out of curiosity and no where else to check we pulled the cap and rotor off, low and behold, it was burnt and had alot of buildup on both, and my brand new rotor looked like it had 500k on it.

I replaced cap and rotor, truck ran like a top......for a couple days, im now getting a bit of loss of power again during right hand turns again. could this be the bearing in my distributor? or is something else causing me to eat caps and rotors?
Old October 1st, 2009, 4:08 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it TBI or carb.
Old October 1st, 2009, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

TBI I also wanted to know what would cause my interior light not to come on when I open the doors, yet when I use the dash dial it comes on, my buzzer works when the lights or key is left in so i know the door switches work
Old October 1st, 2009, 5:15 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Could be a bad door switch. I am sure someone here will know more about the stalling when turning
Old October 1st, 2009, 6:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The distributor wear sounds like possibly your engine ground strap is bad when you combine your other electrical gremlins. Have you changed the battery cables recently? The HEI distributor is bouncing a bit of power around the distributor, and it sounds like power's not returning to the battery efficiently.

I saw a guy's Cadillac HEI distributor burn from the bottom of the coil all the way through down to within inches of the cam gear on a long trip once. He got off the highway, and the engine just quit.(go figure)
Old October 1st, 2009, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

well I do seem to have a few ground problems, so I guess I will have to do a once over on my wires this weekend, and a new ground strap for the motor is probably in order, i have been watching my voltage gauge, and even the blinkers will make it move around, so i assume there is a problem with the electrical. anything else to check would be apretiated, but I will look into anything I can look at without covering myself in grease hehe
Old October 1st, 2009, 8:58 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

On top of the ground wire checks, make sure all the lead + lines are tight & clean as well.
Old October 1st, 2009, 9:10 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To check the bearings in the distributor, remove the cap grad hold of the rotor and try to wobble the shaft. The should be very little movement.
Old October 1st, 2009, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

even with my gm discount, the dist is $290, i cant find an aftermarket one yet, might as well buy a MSD dist im thinking
Old October 1st, 2009, 9:34 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will be better off buying a OE dist. You will not get anything out of the MSD. I have heard of problems with MSD, but your OE one has lasted 19 years.

Quick Reply: is it the distributer?