Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front Diff problems

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2011, 4:22 PM
ccc
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Diff problems

Greetings all, I found this site looking for help on my 1997 Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel 4X4. I have owned the truck for about 11 years. About two years ago I parked it due to fuel costs. I have been working on it to use in the snow and now find the frond diff won't engage. I read the threads on the site and I have a few peculiarities. My truck came out with a thermal actuator but was converted to a motorized actuator before I got it. That means it is a five pin instead of a two pin. I thought it was the actuator so I bought a new one (electric- motor) but the front diff still doesn't engage. The light on the switch just blinks. I have been told that with the key on and the button pushed for 4wd, the actuator should get a signal to engage and the solenoid on the diff sends a signal to the ecm when the diff engages (it gets a complete circuit) The transfer case is shifting but I am not getting any signal to either the solenoid or the actuator on the diff. Does anyone know if, 1) the push button selector is prone to failure or, 2) if there is another solenoid that is not on the t-case or diff? I have checked all the fuses and they are good. Any help is appreciated.