Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Fuel Issue - 99 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2010, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Issue - 99 Silverado

I am hoping someone can help me out. Over the past several months I have noticed that when it was hot outside, I had to crank on the truck three times to crank. When cold, it cranked right up. About two weeks ago, I was going down the road at a steady pace and the truck started jumping as if it had run out of fuel. The truck was full of gas where I had refilled the day before. It then drove on down the road and when I clutched to make a turn it went dead. I cranked and cranked and it busted off one time and then would not restart. A friend pulled out the fuel regulator in the engine compartment and when the key was on, it pushed no gas through. I towed the vehicle home where it has been since then. Sunday, my son and I went out to look at it. I told him to get under the truck and see if he could hear the fuel pump when I turned the key on and he advised yes. I then turned the key on and he said gas was coming out under the engine. I went to the front and had him turn the key on and gas was squirting out from the fuel pressure regulator. Obviously, my friend had lost the o-ring prior to re-installing the fuel pressure regulator. The screen looke nasty so I replaced the whole regulator. ($50). The vehicle would not start. Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter, thinking that it may be clogged, and it would not crank. I got under the vehicle again and now the fuel pump is not coming on when the key is on. I tried unhooking the battery to clear the memory or computer to no avail. Any Ideas??? Is it possible for the fuel pump to work sometimes and then quit??? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the pumps can come and go. Get a rubber hammer and bang on the bottom of the tank and see if the pump runs. The pumps can go bad,also the wiring that connects to the pump burns up. If you have a couple of strong friends,its easier to take the bed off than drop the full tank.