Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

G80 rebuild, spider gears

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2012, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G80 rebuild, spider gears

What the trick here? I'm stuck at getting the damn spider gears in. Its a very tight fit, when I try to rotate the gears to place both spider gears in the correct position they get caught up on a metal lip inside the diff housing. I've tried for 4 hours today to get them in and if I use a bit of force one spider gear may slip in but the washer gets caught up and pops back out or it slides enough to get squashed between the diff walls and half the spider gear. I feel like if I took a dremel and brought the lip down just a hair I'd have no issues but when I took it apart I didn't have any issues so I don't understand why its being such a pain now. Let me know what I'm doing wrong because I don't see it.
Old October 21st, 2012, 11:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spider gears,

ldaggerl

I can only comment that you may need to make sure the axle shafts are pushed out as far as they will move. Be sure the keeper is installed, and this will give you as much room as allowed. I have did this many times and don't recall having the problem that you are having. May be a little cranky, but not that difficult.

Something in the housing could be loose, this may be the issue.

Good luck,

Last edited by skeeter5; October 21st, 2012 at 11:36 PM.