Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Gas or diesel

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2011, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas or diesel

Does anyone know what kinda MPG the 2500HD 4x4 6.6 diesel get? I know what the 6.0 does. Thanks
Old March 25th, 2011, 3:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen em get 20+, just depends on what you use it for
Old March 25th, 2011, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

i believe the new diesels get around 17, but you could always add a performance chip to get a few more mpg. My father has a 2008 2500HD gas 6.6 and he gets about 12 mpg, and about 8mpg when hes hauling quite a load. i would definitely go with the diesel, worth the money id say.
Old March 25th, 2011, 5:14 PM
CF Active Member

Never heard of a program or chip that will improve mileage only more power and change shifting parameters. If you're going to spend 50000 dollars on a truck, mileage isn't an issue you will be hard pressed to make up the difference in price with better milieage between gas and diesel, not to mention diesel costs 25 cents more a gallon.

It's sort of one of those if you ask the question you can't afford the truck sort of deals.
Old March 25th, 2011, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

yea programmers for the gas trucks aint worth a **** but on a diesel get bullydog. itll unleash the beast.
Old March 25th, 2011, 8:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Duramax diesel will have a huge purchase price premium - and yes, diesel fuel does cost more at the pump (about 35 cents a gallon around here). However, a diesel engine will out-pull, outlast and outperform a gasoline engine of similar displacement. This is especially true if you do a lot of idling or work the truck very hard (heavy towing, etc.).

Along with the Duramax engine, GM offers the Allison automatic transmission - probably because of the extreme torque put out by the 6.6L turbodiesel. I don't think the Allison comes with the gas-burning V8 engines, but I could be wrong about that.

A caveat with "new" diesel engines is that most of them built for the 2008 model year have what is called a 'DPF' (diesel particulate filter); a device mandated by the EPA for the purpose of reducing particulate emissions. The DPF traps soot produced by combustion and "burns it off" when it reaches capacity. This is done by the engine's computer - which injects diesel fuel into the DPF. How much it benefits the environment is up for debate, but it hurts fuel economy by at least 10 to 15 percent!

If you do get a post-2007 diesel truck, look into aftermarket software that will "bypass" or delete the DPF. DISCLAIMER: A DPF delete kit will improve your fuel mileage, but you will be breaking the law and putting your warranty at risk.

2011 diesels, most of them anyway, also require DEF {urea-based Diesel Emissions Fluid} to be added every so often. This works in conjuction with the DPF to reduce emissions. Instead of just 'cooking' the soot, it reacts chemically to it so that it breaks down. The GM and Ford diesels require DEF, but I believe that the Cummins 6-cylinder turbodiesel in the Dodge doesn't need it.

Fuel mileage varies widely by size, weight, axle ratio and driving habits; but rest assured that a diesel will generally get significantly better fuel economy than a gasser. A 2500 HD with a 6.0 gas engine might get 9 to 12 miles per gallon in typical driving, while the same truck with a 6.6 Duramax could get 16 to 19; quite an improvement. As the old saying goes........Your mileage may vary!
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

And if you are truly motivated to do so you can brew your own bio-diesel.....