Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas tank vent

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2016, 1:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank vent

So I replaced the vent solenoid on my 2003 1500 cause I thought it was the problem of me filling my gas tank but apparently not so the next thing I thought was my charcoal canister any thoughts about this?

And is there any way to see if the vent solenoid is work when it on the truck hooked up?
Old January 15th, 2016, 7:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the valve should be normally open when off; so even if the new valve doesn't work...it should still vent the tank.

did you replace and relocate the vent intake air filter and line as that can fill with dirt. If that is ok, I would remove the vent hose that runs from the tank to the evap canister...remove the hose from the canister then try filling up. if it now fills, either the hose or canister is plugged.
If its still blocked, check the vent line in the filler neck.
Old January 15th, 2016, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Gas tank vent

Originally Posted by tech2
the valve should be normally open when off; so even if the new valve doesn't work...it should still vent the tank.

did you replace and relocate the vent intake air filter and line as that can fill with dirt. If that is ok, I would remove the vent hose that runs from the tank to the evap canister...remove the hose from the canister then try filling up. if it now fills, either the hose or canister is plugged.
If its still blocked, check the vent line in the filler neck.
What one is the vent hose on the tank there's there's hose coming off the top of the fuel pump and I there's not a vent that I know of on the filler neck

Last edited by Z71longbed; January 15th, 2016 at 1:42 PM.
Old January 15th, 2016, 1:43 PM
CF Veteran

you can also unhook the line from the vent solenoid to the canister and look inside the canister, if its bad enough having issues filling you will probably see dirt/dust inside the canister.

You don't overfill the tank do you? After the handle clicks squeezing the last bit in? That can cause fuel to get into the canister which will cause the charcoal to break down and clog up the flow.
Old January 15th, 2016, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
you can also unhook the line from the vent solenoid to the canister and look inside the canister, if its bad enough having issues filling you will probably see dirt/dust inside the canister.

You don't overfill the tank do you? After the handle clicks squeezing the last bit in? That can cause fuel to get into the canister which will cause the charcoal to break down and clog up the flow.
I took the hose out and cleaned it and I don't usually over fill it and it only does it during the winter
Old February 29th, 2016, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Any luck solving this issue?