Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Help Coolant loss after expensive intake gasket fix. 99 2500 silverado

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2011, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Coolant loss after expensive intake gasket fix. 99 2500 silverado

I just had some costly service done on my 2500 5.7L 1999 crew cab. Intake gaskets went and was spilling coolant. They pressure tested first and verified.

So the job cost $780 at a VERY reputable chevy dealer. I would have tackled myself but its the middle of winter. They replaced all gaskets and I had them change the Fuel Pressure Reg as preventative since they were in there. I talked to the tech when he finished. Nice older guy with 30 years experience.

Its been 4 days now and I have nioticed the coolant level in my resevoir drops each day a tiny bit. It was a half inch below the "hot" line the day I picked it up. Today its down an 1/8th inch below the "cold" line when warmed up. Wheres it all going? Should I go back to dealer? Did they not bleed system right? Is it just air in there?

The tech said that my leak was not going into the engine at all and motor looked strong so I think I can rule out Head Gasket. And keep in mind they pressure tested and didnt see other leaks. I have looked for drops of coolant on ground. Nothing. Looked at passenger side carpet , Dry (heater core). Just puzzled.

Advice? thx

Also, truck has 102,000 miles. I asked them to give me all parts they took off. I noticed teh gaskets they took off were stamped "felpro". That leads me to believe teh previous owner swapped them before. Isnt that odd That they were swapped already prior to 100000 miles????

Last edited by jdpilot; February 9th, 2011 at 9:40 AM.
Old February 9th, 2011, 3:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check radiator, and any area up by diff, and what I mean is if your radiator core has a slight leak, it may take a few days to actually drip on the ground--they tend to fill the bottom support bracket and then leak onto ground, had it do that im my truck. Also look up by the front diff there are a lot of little "nooks and crannies" up there for coolant to be leaking and fill up before it hits the ground, if so may be possible water pump, three years ago my pump went out--not the pump just the weap hole--the bad thig was it didnt leak all the time just got lucky enough to catch it one day.
And as far as the intake gaskets go--yeah theyre very common leaker on these engines, cast heads and aluminum intake. Hope it helps, just shootin my two cents on my experience