Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

High beam indicator

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2021, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beam indicator

I have a 2006 Silverado 1500HD that has the high beam indicator turn on a few minutes after the engine turns off. No keys in the ignition, opened and closed the door, no other lights or indicators turn on. Any thoughts on what the issue is? Wondering how long before my battery starts draining.

Old February 18th, 2021, 7:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

All the indicator lights are logic controlled by the cluster’s internal circuits, so it’s normal operation would be to only turn on the high beam indicator if the BCM requests it via the data circuit.

It’s normal for modules to communicate for a time after the key is shut off, but none of the indicators or warnings should be active, so the only reason it would turn on after key off is most likely due to an internal fault with the cluster.

If it’s a glitch due to programming, you might be able to reset the cluster by disconnecting the battery and jumping the cables together for at least an hour. If it’s a hard fault (internal circuits shorted) then the reset won’t work.

This era of GM vehicles are known for cluster problems - they are repairable, but if you’re not comfortable with a soldering iron, I’d recommend sending it out.
The following users liked this post:
cjustinb (February 21st, 2021)
Old March 24th, 2023, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identical problem

I have the same issue with our work truck. When you say common for these trucks have you seen a lot and is it something fixed by just swapping the dash cluster out or is it usually in the wiring harness for the cluster?

Originally Posted by Gumby22
All the indicator lights are logic controlled by the cluster’s internal circuits, so it’s normal operation would be to only turn on the high beam indicator if the BCM requests it via the data circuit.

It’s normal for modules to communicate for a time after the key is shut off, but none of the indicators or warnings should be active, so the only reason it would turn on after key off is most likely due to an internal fault with the cluster.

If it’s a glitch due to programming, you might be able to reset the cluster by disconnecting the battery and jumping the cables together for at least an hour. If it’s a hard fault (internal circuits shorted) then the reset won’t work.

This era of GM vehicles are known for cluster problems - they are repairable, but if you’re not comfortable with a soldering iron, I’d recommend sending it out.
se 1500 work truck
Old March 24th, 2023, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by TDay1994
I have the same issue with our work truck. When you say common for these trucks have you seen a lot and is it something fixed by just swapping the dash cluster out or is it usually in the wiring harness for the cluster?

se 1500 work truck
I’ve been a practicing tech for 6 years now and have several customers with trucks of this era. We’ve sent approximately 6-8 of them out for repair with services like circuitboardmedics.com

The clusters have problems with the stepper motors for the gauges wearing out (needle movement stops or becomes choppy) and the solder joints going cold (thermal cycling causes them to separate and make inadequate or intermittent contact).

However I’ve also found wiring problems - most notably, the ground circuits.

The easiest test for the wiring harness is to remove the cluster and use a 9000 series headlight bulb between the power and ground circuits at the cluster connector. If the bulb remains brightly lit for at least one minute, and doesn’t flicker while wiggle testing the harness, it’s not likely to have problems; but you also want to make sure there’s no pin fitment problems (loose terminals between the connector and cluster).

If you give me the year and engine of your truck I can get you a wiring diagram for the cluster.