Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

How to keep rocker panels from rusting out?!?

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2012, 9:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrsavoie
I've always oiled the underside and inside door panels on all of my vehicles. It definately helps with the rust. There are places that spray oil under coat your vehicle for a small fee. Stay away from car washes during rust time - most recycle water and you end up spraying your vehicle with salt water unless you're first, drive roads that aren't salted whenever possible. Avoid parking in a heated garage - the temperature changes activate the salt.
Sorry about the lack of paragraphs. Happens to me on certain forums. Some I can't even sign into. Something wrong with this 11 year old computer. I type the spaces in and when I post everything is jammed together. Does anybody have a computer that is good enough to surf the web and check emails for sale?
Just like your basic motor oil? Just rub some on it?
Old February 8th, 2012, 9:38 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On undercoating, the last I read about it is that undercoating is just a way for dealers to make money, it rusts just as fast as not having undercoating.
Old February 8th, 2012, 4:57 PM
CF Active Member

Wax on the outside, spray WD40 liberally on the inside. Repeat this process many times and you should be ok. WD40= water displacement + salt should not stick.
Old February 8th, 2012, 9:03 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by grumpychevy
Wax on the outside, spray WD40 liberally on the inside. Repeat this process many times and you should be ok. WD40= water displacement + salt should not stick.
you cant get to the inside its boxed in i guess you could say. Just spraying some wd40 on it work ok?
Old March 2nd, 2012, 9:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Two years ago my rockers just had surface rust. I used a D.A. sander with 80 grit and sanded all the rust off, then applied por 15, then applied herculiner with a roller. The other day I noticed a bubble in the herculiner on the rocker panel, I tapped it with a chipping hammer and it went all the way through the rocker panel. So...........now it's time for two new rocker panels. My plan is two have them put on and then sprayed with that bedliner stuff.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 8:07 AM
CF Junior Member

I use whatever oil I have handy. I spray the inside of door locks with Power Lube, Amsoil Metal protector spray, Marvel or similar.

Underneath and inside the doors, on top of the fuel tank & on all the metal lines I use the same stuff or concrete form oil
Old March 4th, 2012, 3:20 PM
CF Active Member

hmm i have tried the oil trick but it isnt working. I noticed today the paint is actually starting to chip off now down to the bare metal slowly.. I really dont want to replace the rockers to there pretty bad since its kind of costly.
Old March 4th, 2012, 3:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by chevy619
hmm i have tried the oil trick but it isnt working. I noticed today the paint is actually starting to chip off now down to the bare metal slowly.. I really dont want to replace the rockers to there pretty bad since its kind of costly.
I was told $2,600 to have the body shop buy and install them (both sides). I plan on buying them myself (there only $400 to $500 for a pair) and having my neighbor install them in his garage since he works at a body shop during the day. Gonna try and keep it between $1000 & $1,500 for the whole job. I hate to spend that much on a truck with 200,000 miles on it but the rest of the body is perfect and there's no mechanical problems what so ever (knock on wood).
Old June 5th, 2015, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default rocker rust

My 05 gmc crew has 3 rubber plugs inside each rear fender and 3-4 on the back side of each rocker panel for clean out. Every couple of years I pull the plugs, and the headlight assemblies and flush the rockers and fenders. Allow to dry thoroughly then spray pyroil penetrating oil into the cavities. Also spray into the weep holes in the bottom of each door and tailgate. I have no sign of rust and have friends who have older trucks that do the same and have no problems.
Old September 1st, 2018, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Replacement Idea

I was thinking I could have the new rocker panels galvanized and then coated with bedliner BEFORE installation it would be the best protection I could provide.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Breedlove (August 16th, 2019)