Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How should I remove road tar from my new truck?

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I remove road tar from my new truck?

I was so excited to get my new 2007 Silverado. It is my dream truck...Z-71, 4x4, LTZ...you name it. About a week after I bought it the city I live in decided to black top the only accessible road to where I live. Being that Houston has had about 3 days of sun in the last month and a half, the rain and mist from the road left tar all over my black truck so I did not notice it for a couple of days. Once I did notice it, I kinda freaked out. I have washed it about 5 times and even used a liquid clay bar to try and remove it. Neither efforts have completely removed it all. I called a paint and body place and they suggested that I use diesel fuel. They suggested that I rinse it off almost immediately but I still don't feel exactly comfortable doing that thinking that it could damage my paint. Is this a suggested method to remove the tar from my truck?
Old July 31st, 2007, 7:57 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How should I remove road tar from my new truck?

Just test it first on the top andcenter of the hood to see if it removes the paint first.

Diesel fuel is not as caustic as gas or laquer thinner so it should work. Seems to me I had used diesel fuel some years ago remove tar from my car and it worked fine.

Old April 27th, 2008, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

GM Bug + Tar Remover ............will take it all off.
Old April 28th, 2008, 8:35 AM
CF Active Member

First week of having mine, I somehow ran through (ugly ketchup) RED paint, I dont know how or where, as I usually avoid any thing that looks remotely out of place or wet, and on a black truck no less. Didnt notice it (it was more of a fine mist than a splatter) until I was washing it and it was all dry. Luckily it seemed to be latex based paint and I could peel it off by hand. But I assume goo gone or the like might work. I wouldnt worry too much about the paint, I've washed mine with Rustaid which is basically acid, as long as you rinse off right after you should be fine. And I bet the paint is formulated to be able to handle spills of a gas/diesel nature.
Old April 28th, 2008, 9:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Use mineral spirits. Won't harm the paint. Just be sure you polish and wax afterwards.