Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intake manifold gasket leak question

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2007, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake manifold gasket leak question

I was told by a mechanic about a year or two ago that the intake manifold gasket on my 1998 1500 had started to leak. He said that it was not a big enough leak to be a problem at the time but it would need to replaced eventually.

Is there a way to tell if the leak is getting worse, perhaps by monitoring the amount of coolant in the resovoir? I'll probably tackle this repair job myself but I want to wait until summer if possible, but I don't want to wreck the engine by running it with too much coolant.
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Intake manifold gasket leak question

I'm sure if the leak gets too bad then the MAP sensor will start throwing codes at you. If not then you will most likely see an increase in coolant leakage. It all depends on where the leak is on the gasket.
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM
CF Pro Member

Or you'll know when it dies.
If it was determined about a year or two ago you're running on borrowed time.

Good luck.
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:18 AM
CF Beginner

I had a 96' Tahoe and I had the same problem. Fix it now or you will regret it.
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, if the leak gets worse the fluid would go down. Or a puddle would form or you'd start to smell it. I had a simular problem.... slow leak of fluid. No puddle, just a slight smell of burning anti-freeze. I treated it by adding a gallon of anti-freeze about every 3 weeks.

Then one day I noticed a puddle. Yet I couldn't see the source of theleak. So I took it home and rev'ed up to about 3000 RPM and saw the spray. It would only flow out hard when you rev'ed it. That's why no puddle. It would all leak out as I drove running backwards over the intake and down the bell housing and onto the exhaust. By the time I'd get where i was going it would be dry'ed enough not to leave a puddle.

Luckly it was leaking on the top and to the front of the driver's side where the head and intake meet. I say luckly, because it could have finally gave way and leaked inside the motor. What if I had been on a trip to the mall. I'd have all that fluid in the motor. Needless to say, that would be a bigger issue.

upon replacing the gasket. I could clearly see the point of failure. my 99 5.7 has a plastic gasket that had turned hard and brittle with age. No wonder it was leaking. It was crumbling inside my motor.

Therefore, I would suggest not taking the risk and replace it as soon as you can.

good luck.