Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Intake manifold gasket

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2007, 11:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake manifold gasket

97 burb. Just recently had to replace my intake manifold gaskets. First time ever doing this. Not bad only took me 12 hours....................

So i get everything done and fire it up and drive it around the block. Everything runs good. Came home and showered. Ran some errands later. 1 week goes by and i notice i have a NEW oil leak. Come to find out the intake manifold is leaking oil as is the distributor. Find out theres a distributor seal or something I was supposed to have changed as well???? SO my only real question is.... how long do I wait to let the PRV or what ever its called....dry. Apparently the other leak is coming from the are where I applied some of this stuff as well. The gaskets are fine i just didnt let everything dry before driving it.
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Intake manifold gasket

I just did the same job on my 99 5.7. The Chilton's book said install while wet to the touch.
It was very specific about the amount and where to lay the bead. 5mm wide and 13mm up the head to overlap and meet the sealing area on the gasket.
Old December 30th, 2007, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Intake manifold gasket

its probably not an issue of time but a issue of not enough. You need to fill the valleys with a lot of RTV to seal between the intake and the block. this is common mistake, unfortunately to fix it you have to do it all over again. And make sure that you clean it really well with brake clean or something like it and lay about a 1/4 to 3/8 bead along the back edge and up the gasket to make sure the corner is sealed well.

Good luck.
Keith