Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just Bought '00 Silverado, Need to Fix a Few Problems

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2013, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought '00 Silverado, Need to Fix a Few Problems

I just purchased a 2000 Silverado 1500 4wd 4.8L. It has 173,xxx miles, and is extended cab 4dr with 5 speed manual.

It does have the check engine light on, the code is P0332 Knock Sensor condition. I know there are two sensors, but where are they located on the engine? I have been told they are on the sides of the block, and I have been told that they are under the intake manifold. I have also seen diagrams of both examples. Is it more commonly the knock sensors, or an issue with the fuel pressure? I'm positive it's not actually knocking. Runs smooth. Drove it 260 miles home and ran like a champ.

The second thing I need to fix, has to do with the gauge cluster. It seems about every other time I start the truck, the fuel gauge does not run it's cycle. It will just stay on the empty line and the low fuel message will show up. If I drive it for a while, the needle will creep up a little until the message goes away. Then the next time I start the truck, it will do it's normal top to bottom cycle, then register the correct level. Any ideas on how I can fix this? I have been told that it is a common problem, and that I may have to purchase an entire new cluster online.

Thanks for any help given.

Comic
Old February 12th, 2013, 9:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Knock sensors are on top on the block under the manifold. It's usually the back sensor that goes out. When you replace it, put some silicone or rtv around it. The design allows water to creep back and damage the sensor. And for the cluster, it could be the stepper motors goin out, or the fuel pump needs replacing soon. That's more common on these trucks than the cluster going out
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensors

Hello,

Here is the procedure on an 8 cylinder. Will be close. From another website.

How to change your knock sensors : How-To Articles

Good luck with your new ride.