Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

just bought a new compressor but how do i recharge my system?

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2010, 1:04 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so it wont function properly or it will kill the compressor or what?
Old July 10th, 2010, 1:33 AM
CF Active Member

There is a (very large) chance that it will kill the compressor very quickly (as in2pro mentioned).
Old July 10th, 2010, 6:29 PM
CF Active Member

Wow, so my friend who is a mechanic vacuumed the system and added three 16 ounce cans of freon. The compressor makes a weird squeaking sound when the AC is turned on. The clutch engages on the compressor and spins just as fast as the pulley around it. And then after the engine is turned off for a few minutes, and when I go to start it it will turn over but hesitate to start for a few seconds. I notice that when the AC is turned on, I can see the tensioner pulley vibrating. It doesnt vibrate when the AC is off though. Maybe its the clutch on the compressor putting a strain on the tensioner pulley?

The temp gauge was 3/4's and almost on red. This might be because when someone thought they would be funny decided to loosen my radiator cap and I lost half of the coolant so I just added remaining water to top off the radiator. Is the running way too hot because the water water dilluted the remaining coolants cooling ability? The overheating was so bad that my brake fluid boiled and seeped out a little around the resevoir cap.

I bought the compressor at a junk yard and its warrantied for 30 days. Does this sound like the compressor is going bad? I bought the dam thing for 75 and have forked 60 bucks into freon! Now I'm gonna have to redo everything!?

Last edited by tom5170; July 10th, 2010 at 6:36 PM.
Old July 10th, 2010, 8:43 PM
CF Active Member

i drained coolant and refilled and fixed the heating issue. BUT the compressor still squeaks and you can hear the belt slip a tiny bit. . AND the compressor is leaking a tiny bit where its crimped around the compressor. You can see tiny bubbles. I have a 30 day warranty for the compressor but on the reciept it says that they cover no loss for anything lost during installation of the product. So I just lost about 70-80 bucks for freon. I cant f****** believe this!
Old July 10th, 2010, 9:08 PM
CF Active Member

that stinks that you lost the freon. not sure where you live or buy your freon, but where I am freon don't cost that much. alot of times you can get a re-fill kit for 30 bucks. then you might just need one extra can. hope things work out.
Old July 10th, 2010, 9:49 PM
CF Active Member

the cans of freon at autozone are like 12-16 bucks a can! do you know how many cans of freon it usually takes to fill the system?
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:23 PM
CF Active Member

im from michigan too.
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:27 AM
CF Active Member

well the ac system goes by pounds and all cars and trucks differ by make and so on. when doing a new compressor you need oil charge and I would say some where around 3 cans of freon, but you would have to look and see how many pounds the system takes then just do the math and convert the rest. I have seen that if you buy the freon in bulk or in a kit that converts the old ac to the new they are cheaper sometimes. I can't remeber but I want to say meijer had a 3pack for $30. can't remember.
Old July 11th, 2010, 1:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am an H/VAC technician (not car, but residential, commercial, and industrial).
You HAVE to evacuate the system, not sure how far, but for regular AC's you
vacuum them down to 500 microns, a cars' system is much smaller so might not
have to vacuum it down that far, I am not sure about that. But you do that to
get all of the noncondensables out of your lines.
if you don't do this they could very well clog up your system and ice up your
coils and your compressor could end up burning up.

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; July 11th, 2010 at 1:43 AM.