Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just bought a Silverado.... Its got issues!

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2007, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a Silverado.... Its got issues!

I just bought the truck that is listed in my signature, and I need some serious help!

[ol][*]Hard starting, she cranks and cranks so I must give it alittle gas to get her running (that works every time), but once running she is just fine and smooth idling. It doesn't matter if its a HOT start or a COLD start, it always needs alittle gas to get running. There is no check engine light on, maybe a good sign?[*]Power door locks are dead.[*]PO buggered up the front RH ABS sensor or cable when he did the brakes, and the light is on. Re-solder or reconnect?[*]The truck's dual battery setup is "rigged up" and the 2nd battery is missing. I see a disconnected solenoid, cables for a dual battery, and a black slim rectangular thing in between them leaking clear "goo".[*]Interior lights (dome and map) are all dead along with the main cigarette lighter plug-in, although the 2nd and 3rd cigaretteplugs both work.[*]Poor gas mileage, but the temp gauge is at 160 F, so I am guessing that the PO put the thermostat in that leaves the computer in "open loop mode". Does it need a 195 F?[/ol]
The good news is that the truck runs good after 30 seconds of warming up from a start, blows no smoke at 163,000 miles, shifts good and 4wd is working fine.
Old October 24th, 2007, 5:51 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Just bought a Silverado.... Its got issues!

ORIGINAL: WarrenK3500

I just bought the truck that is listed in my signature, and I need some serious help!
[ol][*]Hard starting, she cranks and cranks so I must give it alittle gas to get her running (that works every time), but once running she is just fine and smooth idling. It doesn't matter if its a HOT start or a COLD start, it always needs alittle gas to get running. There is no check engine light on, maybe a good sign?[*]Power door locks are dead.[*]PO buggered up the front RH ABS sensor or cable when he did the brakes, and the light is on. Re-solder or reconnect?[*]The truck's dual battery setup is "rigged up" and the 2nd battery is missing. I see a disconnected solenoid, cables for a dual battery, and a black slim rectangular thing in between them leaking clear "goo".[*]Interior lights (dome and map) are all dead along with the main cigarette lighter plug-in, although the 2nd and 3rd cigaretteplugs both work.[*]Poor gas mileage, but the temp gauge is at 160 F, so I am guessing that the PO put the thermostat in that leaves the computer in "open loop mode". Does it need a 195 F?[/ol]

The good news is that the truck runs good after 30 seconds of warming up from a start, blows no smoke at 163,000 miles, shifts good and 4wd is working fine.
Hmmm

1. could be just clogged injectors, run some cleaner thru it, never hurts, plugged filter....something to that affect..

2 and 5 - blown fuse, sounds all tied together.......

3. dual batteries were an option back then so he prolly rigged a second one in... as you said. get someone who knows what they are doing to test what wires are live and not....get rid of them or do the second battery yourself, the 'goo'.....no idea... lol

6. OF COURSE IT IS ITS A 454.....The temp guage to my knowledge will have no affect on gas milage, not noticable anyhow, tons of people in hte north well here anyhow change them every spring and winter.....get warm air faster
Old October 24th, 2007, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already ran Lucasfuel injector cleaner thru it, that did nothing for hard and long starting.....and will run another brand too along with marvel mystery oil in the gas.

I think I am getting around 12mpg on the highway, driving like a grandmother, 55 mph, no fast starts, no load in the bed and no trailer. I discovered that It has a K&N air filter, which should help alittle, I have heard this truck should get around 17+ mpg on the highway if driven properly and maintained well. So that is my aim.

I checked the fuses, the ciagrette lighter fuse was blown so I changed it, but it did nothing for the interior dome /map lights.

For the dual batteries, I will trace down the problem with a voltmeter and see what this battery and partial wire abortion was all about.
Old October 24th, 2007, 7:05 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

17 mpg would be new, so try tuning it up, plugs, wires, things liek this it may get better, but its 10+ years young now so it may not.....this may be the long hard starts to, new wires, coil, and the like will give you bettter spark as well...start faster and run better...