Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this Lifter's or something worse?

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2013, 9:57 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by paawwl
Ok so I just went to run somewhere this morning and since I did the oil change no noise whatsoever... the temp is still in the mid 20's
Suppose the oil filter could have been the problem?
Old October 13th, 2013, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2003 Silverado with 131,000 that started making that same noise labor day weekend, I did a oil change with mobile 1 full synthetic 5w30 & a AC Delco filter, 1700 miles later it started doing it again, changed oil & filter, the oil was still clean & the filter had sludge in it, I'm going to keep a extra filter for it & the next time it does it, I'm going to change filter & add oil back to the full mark, to see what Happens. I've also be told that it is a check valve in the oil pump sticking why would a oil change fix the noise
Old October 14th, 2013, 6:25 AM
CF Beginner

Since my last post I have had no problems with the truck. I have never heard the noise again since i went to Valvoline oil.... I have showed the video to many mechanics and they all baffled as to why/how the noise has completely stopped.

I know I had changed the oil and went with Mobil 1 and then thats the first time i noticed the noise so maybe it has something to do with the consistency on synthetic oil...... i know that sounds very odd but since the Valvoline oil i have had no problems...
Old October 14th, 2013, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default noise

I feel certain your noise is not piston slap,nor do I think it is anything in the lower part of the engine. What I hear sounds like no oil getting to the valve system. And no it didnt go away in the videos it got some better. I would probably give it a Seafoam treatmentand several short oil changes. Stay with the valvolene. But what do I know Ive only been playing with this stuff for 58 years.
Old October 15th, 2013, 5:40 AM
CF Beginner

I got my truck with 118,000 miles on it, no history on it as the owner had pasted away & truck had sat for a year, I changed oil in it & went with Mobile 1 full synthetic 5w30, ran 5000 miles changed oil & filter again no problem, I was on my 3rd oil change with mobile 1 when the Noise just appear one morning, went away after about 5 minutes, 1700 miles later noise reappeared, did a oil change & went with a Wix filter this time instead of the ac delco so far 450 miles no noise, I recorded the noise & let my dealers top mechanic list to it he had never heard a noise like it in a 5.3 . I like my truck but can't afford to spend a lot on it & can't afford to trade it off. Just at the point of parking it & riding my wifes old buick or Ford Explorer. My truck has never used a drop of oil on 5000 mile changes. it run great good power & out on the highway will run 19 to 20 miles per gallon 17 to 18 around locally. I do know when I got it that it had a walmart sticker in the windshield on a oil change, could be that they used a cheap oil in it & sludged it up & the Mobile 1 is cutting the sludge loose & stopping up something.
Old October 16th, 2013, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

I was in a parts store today & found a oil treatment we used in the 70's to quiten down loud lifter, it is CD2 oil treatment for noisey engines wil wait till I hear the noise again & see what happens when I add this to it.