Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Limited Slip; Coming and Goin'

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2009, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited Slip; Coming and Goin'

I have a 2005 1500 2wd single cab 5.3.. Occasionally i'll get on it and only one tire will engage.. and other times ill get on it and both will engage.. i called the dealer and gave them my VIN because i recently bought the truck and i didnt know all of the details.. they said the rear end was G80(?) i believe.. which they said was a locker or limited slip.. i cant remember exactly.. but either way i didnt know if anyone else has had this problem and if they have what was it? do i need to replace clutches in the rear end? add an additive? any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance..
Old September 21st, 2009, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

so no one has had this same problem? or am i just losing my mind?
Old September 21st, 2009, 1:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by SlowLeak
so no one has had this same problem? or am i just losing my mind?
were all losing our minds,...well first off lets see if you have or another owner has used this 2500 for towing?or just playing a little in her?

if it were me i would just open up the rear and take a peek in there, have a friend spin the wheels slowly and you check it for loose parts,etc..i have also put one of my rides on jacks and put her into gear to check for problems in the rear...you coud start there and might just get lucky(well not lucky)to see something loose or broken...iv'e personally blew many limited slips and you will know when it's had it's day....it's just a thought and starting point.....red

if nothing seems loose or worn refill with good approved limited slip gear oil and drive her till she breaks...

one of my limited slip rears did do the same thing your explaining and after some time eventually gave up on me.....i have the same rear in my truck but it's locked...
Old September 21st, 2009, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

ok thank you, the only thing that puzzles me is that its very inconsistent, ill be on wet pavement.. give it gas and one will spin.. and then it'll turn around and on dry pavement floor it and both will light up.. and visa-versa.. im taking all the advice i can get! thanks guys
Old September 21st, 2009, 4:11 PM
CF Senior Member

hey slow how many miles are on the truck,and when was the last time the rear was serviced?

if the limited slip starts to go it will sometimes act as if it was a open rear,
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

it has 92000 on it.. and i dont know when it was serviced last.. i plan on lookin into it here soon.. im just waiting on it to get slow enough here in the shop to put it up on the rack and look at it..
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
CF Senior Member

keep me informed on the issue....please....

ive heard that they really dont last all that long...but then again i deleted it and locked the rear....if it is indeed gone do ya have any ideas what will be going into the rear?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

i was thinking a detroit true-trac.. and since i'm gonna have to dig into it anyway.. then possibly a 4:10.. budget permitting.. haha
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
CF Senior Member

detroit makes some sweet setups...you do know that the truetrac is still like a limited slip....what do you use your ride for mostly.....street?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

yeah.. just street

Quick Reply: Limited Slip; Coming and Goin'