Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

limpmode

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2012, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default limpmode

help stuck in limp mode. chevy 5.7 1994 silverada, got pan off now what.
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably need a trans but lets start with a better description with more info. What do you mean by "limp home mode", what are your symptoms? You got the pan off, I assume you mean trans pan?
Old December 29th, 2012, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

feels like its stuck in 2nd maybe 3rd, started to slip out of nowhere, never slipped before been very strong, changed everygear perfect. no metal at all in the pan but fluid was brown. i just dont feel the trans is out yet. i been reading about limpmode, that sounds like what may be going on, i also noticed the 1-2 shift silinoid dont look good, i can see all the copper wires inside it, like the cover on it is missing, dont look like the one next to it, it looks like it is closed up.should i be able to see the copper wire in the silinoid with out taking it apart. 1994 silverado 350 460l trans. thanks for any help.
Old December 29th, 2012, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

also the copper wire and the silinoid was soaked in tranny fluid is that normal.
Old December 29th, 2012, 6:41 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

If the trans is slipping it is dead. You can waste all the time and money you want throwing parts at it but the fact of the matter is GM trucks are know for trans failure. Shift solenoids do not cause a slip situation
Old December 30th, 2012, 9:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby519
feels like its stuck in 2nd maybe 3rd, started to slip out of nowhere, never slipped before been very strong, changed everygear perfect. no metal at all in the pan but fluid was brown. i just dont feel the trans is out yet. i been reading about limpmode, that sounds like what may be going on, i also noticed the 1-2 shift silinoid dont look good, i can see all the copper wires inside it, like the cover on it is missing, dont look like the one next to it, it looks like it is closed up.should i be able to see the copper wire in the silinoid with out taking it apart. 1994 silverado 350 460l trans. thanks for any help.

The slipping caused the brown oil.
There is no such thing as a "1-2 shift solenoid".
Limp mode is in second gear all the time.
Your truck has a 4L60E transmission.

Pull it out, it needs rebuilding, as the 3-4 clutch is kuput.

Allan
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

thanks guys.
Old December 30th, 2012, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

ok after more research and reading i want to update a few things, let me go back a few days, i had a bad radiator it busted truck ran hot or lets say got hot for a very short time. also had a bad thermostate.so i assume tranny got hot as well, i fixed all of that, then had ground problem on the temp sensor that goes on the h20 housing.now fixed. then drove it and started slipping for the first time. again no metal in pan at all, code that shows up now is 81... i think that is 3-4 shift silinoid or from what i read anyway, i just dont buy that now the tranny is shot jerk it out. was rebuilt 2 yrs ago. way to strong to be shot, please help someone...it is in 2nd gear all the time.4l60e trans. there is a 1-2 silinoid or a-b and a 3-4 or silinoid or c-d. i know nothing much bout transmissions but i feel its something minor or electrical. thanks in advance.

Last edited by bobby519; December 30th, 2012 at 8:21 PM.
Old December 30th, 2012, 9:30 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

You do not want to hear what we have to say. Allen in NE is a trans guy and you can clearly read my qualifications in my signature. Two professionals giving you an opinion but you are not listening. I guess you know more than us. If it is slipping its done. Your on your own buddy good luck.
Old December 30th, 2012, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

by no meens im i being smart or anything else, i do appericate your help i just thought sense i left out some of the follow up info maybe you all would hopefully come to a different conclusion. i said i know nothing of transmissions and was not trying to second guess the pros on here at all. sorry for offending you. like i said just thought with that new info i may have a different outcome. ill jerk it out in the morning. im sure ill have more questions soon and i enjoy this forum very much, hope im still welcome and didnt upset anyone.